Beryl

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dracorX

radeon and beryl

Post by dracorX »

Hi. I have a radeon (other model) and run beryl via open source driver - but this is off topic.

You should have the diamond icon in your systray (down right). If you click on it, it will give you sthg like a popup menu. Select "Window manager" and change to "beryl". Be sure you have a fallback window manager defined ;-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

This may be a bit more complicated than simply changing the Beryl Manager to 'beryl." When you installed your ATI driver via Envy, did it offer to adjust your xorg.conf file? If not, you'll need to do so manually to specify the ATI driver instead of the generic VESA (or whatever basic driver you're likely using.) Also, you may need to add a section to xorg.conf to enable compositing. Please post your xorg.conf file so we can have a look at it.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The ATI proprietary "fglrx" driver does not support composite extensions, which are needed by Beryl and Compiz. Which means they will not work. However all is not lost; there is a way to make it work with some extra software and tweaking.

First we need to see if your driver is actually working. Try the following command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

fglrxinfo
If you see Mesa, SGI or Tungsten anywhere in the output (or you get an error) your fglrx driver is not working. Check here for help:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Troubleshooting

If your output looks similar to this:
  • tim@Mint-XPC:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X1950 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6334 (8.34.8)
Then try:

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep direct
which should respond with direct rendering: Yes

and then take a look at my posts in the following thread for info on how to get Bery/Compix working with the ATI "fglrx" driver. My 3rd post has the info you need (also check out my 6th post for a useful script).

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5909

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Was Berl working? Could you spin the cube? From the Beryl Gem menu select Beryl as your window manager, then hit Alt+Control and Left-Click and drag the mouse on any part of your desktop background to see if the cube spins (or Alt+Control+Left or Right arrow keys).

Missing buttons could be the theme loaded by Emerald. From the Beryl Gem menu make sure Beryl is your window manager and Emerald is your window decorator, then use Emerald Theme Manager to load a theme.

If you prefer GNOME themes you can install Heliodore from Synaptic. It is a Beryl Window decorator that uses standard GTK themes.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

The desktop will (or should) look the same until you activate one of the Beryl features. The most famous of course, is the "Cube" viewport switcher. Wobbly Windows is another. If you open a window and drag it around quickly it should "wobble" and distort slightly like it's flexible.

You activate the cube by either:

Holding Control+Alt+Left (or Right) arrow keys (flip cube 1 face)

Or hold Control+Alt and then click and drag the mouse on the desktop background (any part of the desktop where there isn't a window, icon or tool bar). You left-click & drag, like dragging a window or file, but on the desktop itself (don't forget to hold Control+Alt while doing it).

Scrolling the mouse wheel on an empty section of the desktop will also spin the cube, but I don't recall if that's a default setting or one that has to be configured (clicking the mouse wheel button should activate the cube as well).

And you need to be logged in to your Xgl session for Beryl to work. There are loads of other cool features in Beryl. You can launch the Beryl Settings Manager from the Beryl Gem menu and play with other settings.

Aloha, Tim
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

"The ATI proprietary "fglrx" driver does not support composite extensions, which are needed by Beryl and Compiz. Which means they will not work. However all is not lost; there is a way to make it work with some extra software and tweaking."

Actually, the new one does!!! I would recommend all ATI users to upgrade to version. Not only does the 8.42 driver address many of the outstanding bugs for the earlier GPU generations while also introducing a few new features, but it also delivers AIGLX support! Yes, you read that right. You can finally run your ATI graphics card with the fglrx driver and run Compiz, Beryl, or Compiz Fusion without using XGL! If you do a search on the Ubuntu forums, there are a couple of guides for getting Beryl or Compiz setup with this new driver. I cannot assist as I do not have an ATI graphics card.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Actually, the new driver is not all that great. Video overlay is broken under Beryl or Compiz. The older driver with Xgl works much better!

Aloha, Tim

Return to “Other topics”