Squeeze is 'official'

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vrkalak

Squeeze is 'official'

Post by vrkalak »

I have been following the progress of the release of Debian 6.0 Squeeze via identi.ca for the past 17 hours.

Debian HQ: Squeeze is now being pushed to the Linux Mirrors and Torrents around the World.

This is it ... we have 'released'!!
Effective 1900 hours EDT, 5 Feb 2011

It took so long: in the course of this release 693 images for 11 architectures we generated and tested!
A great big Thank You to the DebianFTP Team, Release Team, CD team, www-team and all the people supporting today's press work.

SQUEEZE ME!!!! :lol: I'm having a Squeeze Release Party, by myself, in a cyber-coffee shop.

New "stable' Squeeze > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.0/

For those that already use Debian or LMDE . . . time to UPGRADE. :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Squeeze is 'official'

Post by vrkalak »

The Official Squeeze Announcement just hit DistroWatch.com.

Read the official Squeeze release announcement > http://news.debian.net/2011/02/06/debia ... ze-is-out/
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I have LMDE installed.
Do I have to anything 'special' with Squeeze release or
Continue with what I have.
Would be grateful for advice
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

vrkalak wrote:I have been following the progress of the release of Debian 6.0p Squeeze via identi.ca for the past 17 hours.
vrkalak, there is a word for people like us, it is o......
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

The Debian 6.0 Squeeze torrents are hot tonight. :D
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

dnmint,

No, you do not need to do anything special. Just keep on rolling along. You are good to go. :wink:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

rivenathos wrote:
dnmint wrote:Do I have to anything 'special' with Squeeze release or continue with what I have.

No, you do not need to do anything special. Just keep on rolling along. You are good to go. :wink:
Nothing different or special ... if you are 'set' to Testing.

Except wait a few hours for the 'testing' repositories to be 'reset' to the "new testing" version.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes Squeeze is official, and here it is:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

hmmm...looks like you are playing with kde now, tdockery97 from viewing your debian 6.0 screenshot :lol:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

craig10x wrote:hmmm...looks like you are playing with kde now, tdockery97 from viewing your debian 6.0 screenshot :lol:
Yes, it gives me a different DE to play with since my LMDE is Gnome.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
axxer

Post by axxer »

tdockery97 wrote: Yes, it gives me a different DE to play with since my LMDE is Gnome.
i installed xfce on my lmde. removed all gnome stuff like gnome-core, libs, nautilus etc. i even replaced gdm with slim. now its freakin' fast without all that gnome bloated stuff :lol: :lol:
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

vrkalak wrote:
rivenathos wrote:
dnmint wrote:Do I have to anything 'special' with Squeeze release or continue with what I have.

Nothing different or special ... if you are 'set' to Testing.

Except wait a few hours for the 'testing' repositories to be 'reset' to the "new testing" version.
I am a 73 year old - nongeek user of Mint. I switched to LMDE as I thought it will be updated through Updates & no need to go to another version.
I am not a 'tester' but just a 'user'.
Hence my request for advice as to 'what should I do ?'
Thanks
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

axxer wrote:
tdockery97 wrote: Yes, it gives me a different DE to play with since my LMDE is Gnome.
i installed xfce on my lmde. removed all gnome stuff like gnome-core, libs, nautilus etc. i even replaced gdm with slim. now its freakin' fast without all that gnome bloated stuff :lol: :lol:
Can you help me by advising a step by step way of getting into xfce mode of LMDE ?
I would be grateful
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

dnmint wrote:Can you help me by advising a step by step way of getting into xfce mode of LMDE ?
Open the Synaptic Package Manager, in the 'search' bar ... type "xfce"

Right-click on the Xfce Meta Package choose to 'install' . . . . (Nothing else) All dependencies will be added automatically.

After the installation is complete ... re-boot your computer.

After the Grub screen, comes the Log-in screen ... at the Log-in screen, at the bottom, click on "Sessions", choose "Xfce" ... finish logging in.

This will not change anything in your Gnome desktop, and all files/documents and bookmarks will show up in Xfce.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

vrkalak wrote:
dnmint wrote:Can you help me by advising a step by step way of getting into xfce mode of LMDE ?

Right-click on the Xfce Meta Package choose to 'install' . . . . (Nothing else) All dependencies will be added automatically.

After the Grub screen, comes the Log-in screen ... at the Log-in screen, at the bottom, click on "Sessions", choose "Xfce" ... finish logging in.

This will not change anything in your Gnome desktop, and all files/documents and bookmarks will show up in Xfce.
Thanks. Did all that.
I have autologin for my ID. No option for Sessions showed up even after I went to change Login to show login screen.
The system looks the same - including update manager packages. Only change is in the taskbar & Igot a new Icon 'Connected to Wired Network in addition to the 'normal Network Icon
What next ?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

When are they going to support current wireless encryption standards in the installer? Every distro I have used except Debian has supported WPA/WPA2 for ages, yet it just keeps getting ignored. I think somebody submitted patches for WPA support back in 2008 but nobody bothered to merge them into the tree. It's now 2011; by the time WPA is supported it will be just as obsolete as WEP is now.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

dnmint wrote:
vrkalak wrote:

Thanks. Did all that.
I have autologin for my ID. No option for Sessions showed up even after I went to change Login to show login screen.
The system looks the same - including update manager packages. Only change is in the taskbar & Igot a new Icon 'Connected to Wired Network in addition to the 'normal Network Icon
What next ?
Still awaiting some advice....
Also how do I make it Squeeze XFCE so that I have a stable Xfce Debian edition
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

dnmint wrote:Still awaiting some advice....
LMDE (LinuxMint-Debian) is based on Debian's "testing" branch for the Rolling Release aspect.

But, if you need a very 'stable' OS you might want to consider changing from 'testing' to 'stable'

Code: Select all

In the Terminal type:  gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Change everywhere that says, 'testing' change it to say 'stable' or 'squeeze'

Then, in /etc/apt/preferences change 'testing' to 'squeeze' 

Followed by sudo apt-get update
The Xfce desktop within Mint-Debian will not be affected, other than it will only recieve updates from the 'stable' repros.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

vrkalak wrote:
dnmint wrote:Still awaiting some advice....
LMDE (LinuxMint-Debian) is based on Debian's "testing" branch for the Rolling Release aspect.

But, if you need a very 'stable' OS you might want to consider changing from 'testing' to 'stable'

Code: Select all

In the Terminal type:  [b]gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list[/b]

Change everywhere that says, 'testing' change it to say 'stable' or 'squeeze'

Then, in [b]/etc/apt/preferences[/b] change 'testing' to 'squeeze' 

Followed by [b]sudo apt-get update[/b]
Thanks. Will I have Mint main or Xcfce.
If this makes it as Main Stable How do I change to Xfce - the liter version
Thanks again
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

dnmint wrote: Thanks. Will I have Mint main or Xcfce.
If this makes it as Main Stable How do I change to Xfce - the liter version
Thanks again
You will have Debian Squeeze (stable) with whichever desktop environment you had initially.

If it was LMDE (Gnome) or Xfce or LXDE or Fluxbox . . . the desktop will stay they same as what was already installed.
Only the Repros will change from 'testing' to 'stable' ... everything installed will remain the same.

Return to “LMDE Archive”