LMDE New Release!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE New Release!

Post by telenux »

tdockery97 wrote:
telenux wrote:I suppose one could upgrade to sid, too? :-)
A lot of LMDE users do. Personally I use Testing as a good compromise between cutting edge and stable.
I[m using Testing on my laptop. I agree with you.

Btw, thanks for answering my questions in my recent posts! One thing I like about this community is the quick answers one gets. :)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

LMDE is a rolling release. You can change the repos to whatever you like, Sid or Squeeze or continue with Testing. I'm not sure there are going to be releases of other desktops, but you can certainly add KDE or whatever else you want on your own. Reading this link from the LMDE forum should answer most of your questions.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

sgosnell wrote:LMDE is a rolling release. You can change the repos to whatever you like, Sid or Squeeze or continue with Testing. I'm not sure there are going to be releases of other desktops, but you can certainly add KDE or whatever else you want on your own. Reading this link from the LMDE forum should answer most of your questions.
What are Sid or Sqeeze?
What is their pros vis a vis rolling distribution?
Thanks for explaining in advance.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

dnmint wrote:
sgosnell wrote:LMDE is a rolling release. You can change the repos to whatever you like, Sid or Squeeze or continue with Testing. I'm not sure there are going to be releases of other desktops, but you can certainly add KDE or whatever else you want on your own. Reading this link from the LMDE forum should answer most of your questions.
What are Sid or Sqeeze?
What is their pros vis a vis rolling distribution?
Thanks for explaining in advance.
I get that Sid is unstable & Squeeze is stable.
I have changed my PC Intel core2duo - 4gbb RAM.
I have the original DVD of LMDE Dec. release.
I want to install it, go on to Debian XFce squeeze version so that I have lite stable Debian version of LMDE.
Grateful in advance for advice
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Debian is a very conservative distro. Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable, and Testing is more conservative than Unstable. Debian Stable is seldom changed, and very conservative. Once a version goes stable, it only gets bugfixes, seldom any software updates. Sid, or Unstable, is actually a rather stable version, and I prefer it to Wheezy, which is now Testing, because it gets bug fixes faster. YMMV. If you want XFCE Squeeze, you can simply install that, or you can install LMDE, add the XFCE desktop packages, point your sources.list to Squeeze, update, and have it. It's a little longer, but it will work.

BTW, the names of the versions are from the movie Toy Story, and are just a whimsical way to refer to them.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

sgosnell wrote:Debian is a very conservative distro. Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable, and Testing is more conservative than Unstable. Debian Stable is seldom changed, and very conservative. Once a version goes stable, it only gets bugfixes, seldom any software updates. Sid, or Unstable, is actually a rather stable version, and I prefer it to Wheezy, which is now Testing, because it gets bug fixes faster. YMMV. If you want XFCE Squeeze, you can simply install that, or you can install LMDE, add the XFCE desktop packages, point your sources.list to Squeeze, update, and have it. It's a little longer, but it will work.

BTW, the names of the versions are from the movie Toy Story, and are just a whimsical way to refer to them.
you can install LMDE, add the XFCE desktop packages, point your sources.list to Squeeze, update, and have it

How do I do this with my LMDEDec DVD. Step by step for me please.
Thanks in advance
Arenalgarden

Post by Arenalgarden »

dnmint wrote:
sgosnell wrote:Debian is a very conservative distro. Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable, and Testing is more conservative than Unstable. Debian Stable is seldom changed, and very conservative. Once a version goes stable, it only gets bugfixes, seldom any software updates. Sid, or Unstable, is actually a rather stable version, and I prefer it to Wheezy, which is now Testing, because it gets bug fixes faster. YMMV. If you want XFCE Squeeze, you can simply install that, or you can install LMDE, add the XFCE desktop packages, point your sources.list to Squeeze, update, and have it. It's a little longer, but it will work.

you can install LMDE, add the XFCE desktop packages, point your sources.list to Squeeze, update, and have it

Thanks in advance
It's called SalineoS.
Google it.
amina

Post by amina »

And only use the 2010Dec DVD if it is for 64 bit.
For 32 bit, use the 2011Jan re-spin.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

Arenalgarden wrote:
dnmint wrote:

Thanks in advance
It's called SalineoS.
Google it.
While I thank you for your input, it does not tell me what to do with SalineoS with LMDE so that I have LKMDe with XFce desktop , then on to stable Squeeze etc
Pls advise

Return to “LMDE Archive”