Mint or Ubuntu?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Only you can decide what best suites your needs. LinuxMint and Ubuntu are both good choices.

You can run both if you want!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

i tried ubuntu many times multiple computers - too many issues. Mint works the best! my 1/2 cent.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:i tried ubuntu many times multiple computers - too many issues. Mint works the best!
Yes, I support this view. :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Both distributions are good for first time Linux users. Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS are probably your best choice to start with as they come with multimedia support and desktop improvements out of the box.

Overall, Ubuntu is the best distribution at the moment but as a novice user you will find it lacks some things and you will find yourself struggling to add components which already work out of the box in Linux Mint.

My advice would be to start with Mint, eventually try Ubuntu as well and in a few years give Debian a try.

There's a reason why there are so many distributions. They all bring something different and you might like one more than the other for your own personal reasons (depending on your tastes, on your hardware, on your history, on your philosophy or even on how well you got to like the community...).

PS: Fedora is also definitely worth a try, it's not as easy as mint but it's a very rewarding distribution once set up correctly.

No matter what you choose you're likely to distro-hop for a while and I can only encourage you to do that as much as you can... it's a great adventure and there are more than 300 distributions out there, so you're not finished having fun :)

Good luck,

Clem
dracorX

Mint or Ubuntu

Post by dracorX »

I say I would use MINT. But I am biased ;-)
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

I would also suggest Mint... while it has the Ubuntu base, it has tremendously improved on it, and offers many tools to simplify what could block or baffle a new user. 8)

Whatever your choice, enjoy!

And remember to put your /home on a separate partition, so if later you want to change distros, you'll keep all your stuff. :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 »

mint is much user friendlier than ubuntu. there are lots of things you won't see in ubuntu that is freely avaliable in mint. i know the choice is yours, but for somebody coming from windows mint should be the first choice
dpar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dpar »

I use both Ubuntu and Mint. Both are great distros. PCLOS is also a good choice, but I don't like it's restricted software base.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

I have had issues with ubuntu (as well as their forums being a bit...unfirendly sometimes) PCLOS (strange naming of partitions, and broken installs) and I have had nothing but good things from mint! I had/have issues with driver installs, but a bit of tinkering with xorg.conf and it's fine-the forums helped me out a lot!

I have tried others (slackware, mandriva, arch, debian...the list goes on), but mint is the one for me. Only downside is that I like to install fresh when updates come along...hence my recent linux indentity crisis. I decided I was too lazy to swap, and mint will be sticking around.

Return to “Beginner Questions”