Linux Mint Xfce RC (201104) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint Xfce RC (201104) released!

Post by AlbertP »

Most hardware is detected by the kernel and will work fine. Jockey-gtk is the 'Additional Drivers' in the menu, screenshot: http://screenshots.debian.net/screensho ... _large.png
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

You can install nvidia (or ati drivers) from synaptic. It takes less than ten minutes. The good thing here is that you installed those drivers once. You ll receiving of course updates but you won't be obliged to do ever again fresh install and let the system detects those drivers for you.
And about codecs -everything works out of the box.
A debian-based model is a new experience for most of us.
rollOver

Post by rollOver »

I am really enjoying this release, are there any plans for an x86 64-bit version? The i686 is only seeing 3GB on a 4GB system.
rekik

Post by rekik »

There is already a 64 bit edition http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=80
enjoy !
rollOver

Post by rollOver »

rekik wrote:There is already a 64 bit edition http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=80
enjoy !
Thanks, I tried all these, they link to amd64.iso, I need x86 for my machine, the amd64 distro doesn't do x86 machines does it?

Also I used unetbootin to load this from USB but the memory test isn't working, is that because of it running from the USB flash? Reports "cannot boot ramdisk with an old kernel"
Last edited by rollOver on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rekik

Post by rekik »

The terminology is a bit confusing but at the end :
-use 32 bit version for old cpu with no 64 bit capabilities (either AMD or Intel cpu)
-use either 32 or 64 bit (sometimes named "amd") version for recent cpu with 64 bit capabilities (either AMD or Intel cpu). If you have more than 4 GB RAM, 64 bit edition is needed to use all your RAM, as 32 bit cannot read more than 4 GB. There is lot of discussions about that in the forum.
rollOver

Post by rollOver »

rekik wrote:The terminology is a bit confusing but at the end :
-use 32 bit version for old cpu with no 64 bit capabilities (either AMD or Intel cpu)
-use either 32 or 64 bit (sometimes named "amd") version for recent cpu with 64 bit capabilities (either AMD or Intel cpu). If you have more than 4 GB RAM, 64 bit edition is needed to use all your RAM, as 32 bit cannot read more than 4 GB. There is lot of discussions about that in the forum.
"a bit" I see what you did there--but that is beyond confusing, it's downright misleading!
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Hmmm... seems like LMDE-Xfce is not quite ready for prime-time yet. Guess I'll hold off putting these .iso images on my torrent server until they are a bit more polished. Got all the other LM-9/10 and the 2 main LMDE images serving 24/7.

Well... almost. My server was down most of last night because of an ID10T error (also known as lack of sleep and stupidity). :lol:

Back up again as of a few hours ago.
glitchathon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by glitchathon »

I just ran this as a Live CD on my EEE PC 1005HA and it works great! Wifi, trackpad, webcam, mic all works immediately.

I know that Aptitude is the recommended way to install and remove programs on the Debian forums, whereas Ubuntu community tends to use apt-get. Should we be using Aptitude to update and install/remove and upgrade distribution for Mint Debian releases? Perhaps terminal commands with aptitude is the way to go instead of the package managers?
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

I am having Unable to apply changes, fix broken packages first errors.

I am trying to update/upgrade from the command line as I have before. Being a noob, something is tripping me up that I have not seen before. At some point there is a reading of the checklogs. One comes into view for 'usb-modeswitch-data'. How can I close this to continue with the upgrade?

UPDATE: Just on a whim, I used Synaptic to mark all upgrades, and all seems to be working...252 packages busy downloading. The problem could be with mintupdate, which shows 255 packages to upgrade though.

TIA

DrT
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Yes I also ran into the same error that you had re: usb-modeswitch-data but it broke the usb-modeswitch package so I went to synaptic tried to fix it and it told me to use

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
synaptic seems to be a far easy way to upgrade things than using the terminal.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

aljoriz wrote:Synaptic seems to be a far easy way to upgrade things than using the terminal.
With whichever OS and desktop environment I am using . . . I prefer to do my updates/upgrades with the Synaptic Package Manager instead of Mint-Update or the Terminal.

Doesn't matter if it's Mint, Ubuntu or Debian ... Synaptic works for me.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

They should not have removed Synaptic from the Fedora repos. Yes, ancient Fedora could use Synaptic but in the F14 repos it isn't there anymore.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

AlbertP wrote:They should not have removed Synaptic from the Fedora repos. Yes, ancient Fedora could use Synaptic but in the F14 repos it isn't there anymore.
I did read somewhere that it won't be in Ubuntu 11.04 either.

DrT

PS had to uninstall Mint Xfce. Even though I placed grub in /dev/sda1, my MBR kept on being overwritten.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

aljoriz wrote:Yes I also ran into the same error that you had re: usb-modeswitch-data but it broke the usb-modeswitch package so I went to synaptic tried to fix it and it told me to use

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
synaptic seems to be a far easy way to upgrade things than using the terminal.
But not as much fun LOL.

DrT
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Seems to be a strange issue with grub.

I install it to the / linux booting partition and use a third party boot manager.

On rebooting, XFCE boots directly having overwirtten my boot manager. When I reinstall my boot manager, XFCE boots okay...it is as if grub is in two places at once. Come across this recently in a non-Mint distro, but cannot recall which one.

DrT
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

M_Mynaardt wrote:Oh boy!

A new version of Linux Mint Xfce!! :D

I haven't had a chance to install an play with it just yet. However, I did make a live USB of it using UNebootin and I was surprised at just how fast it started up from my flash drive! I hope it's some kind of fast on a hard drive if it's that fast on a flash drive!
Hi there ! ...

would like to ask you a Question ... please ...

how to make a .. 'live USB' ? ... with 'UNetbootin' ... and how to get 'UNetbootin' ? ...

have the .. '.iso' .. already burned on a .. DvD-RW .. and program is starting fine .. and fast .. from there ! ...
want to fix me a ... 'LIVE-USB-Stick' ... with just .. 1.o GB ! ... what would be enough for this '.iso' ...
can you give me some edvice ? ...

many thanks .. in advance ! ...
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Try www.google.com. Everything you want is there and very easy to find. At least try to help yourself first.

DrT
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release candidate of Linux Mint Xfce. Linux Mint Xfce RC (201104) Introduction to Linux Mint Xfce Linux Mint Xfce is rolling on top of a Debian Testing package base and uses the same repositories as LMDE. This offers the following advantages to Linux Mint Xfce: A huge performance [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1708
Salü ! ... 'clem' & team ! ...

want to say thanks ... for this nice work ... what you .. and your team .. where doing ! ... just fine ! ...

I got started with .. 'LINUX Mint' ... when I found this 'LIVE-CD-ROM' .. of .. 'LINUX Mint 7 Gloria' ! ... in a french magazin about LINUX ...
the 'LINUX-Ubuntu Netbook Remix o8.o4' ... which was installed on my smal .. 'TOSHIBA-NB1oo'-netbook .. was manipulated by TOSHIBA ! ... and did'nt work at all ! ...
there was an .. 'us-version' .. installed on a .. 'fr-keyboard' ... what did'nt work at all ... just messed up ! ...

and 'Gloria' was working just fine ... to my satisfaction ! ... and it still works ! ... on this little netbook .. with screen of 8,9" ! ... and just 512 MB RAM ! ...

now ! .. you guys comming up with this new .. 'LINUX Mint Xfce RC (2o11o4)' ! ...
which I tried right away ... after I burned the '.iso' on a .. DvD-RW ! ... and just fine again ! ... Bingo ! ... is just .. what I've been looking for ! ...
for my smal .. 'TOSHIBA-Netbook' ...

the 'screen-resolution' .. is just the right messure .. for those smal screens .. about 1o " .. or smaler ! ...
for me ! ... this is the right ... 'Netbook-Remix' ! ... with everything in it ! ... (maybe too much) .. of programs .. those 'newbies' where looking for ! ...

did'nt install it rightaway ! ... of cause .. my old love .. 'Gloria' .. is still there ... and I want to keep this for a little bit longer ! ...
will now lookout ... for another smal netbook ... to put this nice program of yours ... on it ! ...

thanks a lot ! ...

donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Except that I'm on hour 3 of the install... peppermint took 10 minutes. What's up with that??

Return to “Releases & Announcements”