Quick Hello!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LnxMint

Quick Hello!

Post by LnxMint »

Hi everyone,

I thought it was time to say hello. My name is Steve, from good old blighty!

I've just installed Mint on a slightly ageing PC. I have to say its one of the best distributions I've come across in the Linux/Unix world, and I have used a few. I started in Linux using Gentoo quite a few years back but got tired of spending all my time emerging instead of actually using the computer. Since then I have (briefly) tried Ubuntu, LinuxFromScratch, Mandrake (Back in the day!), RedHat and a few other lesser known ones, but there were always show-stoppers for me.

This Mint installation was perfect! It has recognised all of the hardware without issue, I have the proper Nvidia driver installed with just a few clicks as well as the outstanding updates that were notified. All quite painless and a very simple affair.

After that, I simply spent 20 minutes or so doing a quick bit of customisation for the themes and window stuff, and the end result is just great! Very polished and a wicked experience. All the graphics and font rendering are working well, the default menu layout is so easy to use and looks great with the brushed metal effect, and the switching back and forth between 'Favourites' and 'All Applications' is one of the best ideas I've seen. Very well done!

Am so pleased I've come across Mint the way it is right now 8)

Not a lot else to say really, apart from a big thanks to everyone involved in this latest edition. The whole experience works far better than I ever would have anticipated. Mint is now my new best friend :D

Just a little hardware info now :

M/b : Intel DG965OT
Mem : 2 x 512Mb DDR2 800
CPU : X6800 Extreme Edition (A bit dated but still a very good performer)
HDD : Seagate 500 Gb
GPU: Nvidia 7600GS (Old but reliable)

I stuck with a very simple disk layout of 2Gb /boot, 2Gb /swap, remaining space as /.

My main use for this syetm is simple desktop, office, email, web and surfing.

Thats about it for now.

Regards to all,

Steve.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Quick Hello!

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome to the Mint Community Steve.

It sounds like you have plenty of experience with Linux. Again, welcome.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome fellow Brit to the home of the Mint family forums

[which region are you in]

wizard
LnxMint

Post by LnxMint »

Thanks guys,

I'm in Sheffield here Wizard :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Steve,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

ah.. land of the cutlers, sorry to see you lost salt and pepper they were my landmarks on the way home from west Yorkshire [otherwise i use the A1] I'm an old fogey but am enjoying Linux [although i still have some issues to be sorted] for a youngster like yourself [without hardened ideas] it should be a breeze .. remember what you have already learned [or been taught] is the springboard for life, the rest is up to you, my favourite saying [when i use to employ YTS ] Is... Rules are made for the obedience of Idiots and the Guidance of the wise,so be wise learn the rules But be flexible and you will succeed in all things you do .

wizard

Return to “Introduce Yourself”