mint updater shows no available updates

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
uke-eda

mint updater shows no available updates

Post by uke-eda »

Hi.

I was just wondering if someone could explain the principles of the mint updater in LMDE. I saw those lines in /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 500

What is this good for? Does it mean the updater only signals updates when they occur in the linuxmint repositories?

I am asking because since about a week I haven't got any updates. But when I did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade via command line there where tons of updates available.

I allowed those updates and my hamster still lives. But what's the recommended way of upgrading the system? Is there a recommended way?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: mint updater shows no available updates

Post by mads »

mintUpdate for LMDE is still under construction, because of the rolling nature of LMDE. You can follow the latest news and discussions here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p399513

The recommended way to update LMDE is
sudo apt-get update
followed by
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And there is no need for "apt-get upgrade". :)
uke-eda

Post by uke-eda »

Thanks for the reply and the link mads.

Clem wrote this at March 24,2011:

"What's coming next is an alteration of mintupdate that is specific to Debian. We'll snapshot the Debian repositories and "open the tap" at regular intervals (monthly for instance). Users will be upgrading to a snapshot we're familiar with, and the update manager will not only list updates but inform users about particular problems for this snapshot and maybe even solve some of them automatically."

That's what I had in mind. But I think it is not yet realized, is it?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

no, the idea of snapshots is not done yet.
MintUpdate has been though a lot of chances lately to adapt it to LMDE;

Trying to answer your first question, why MU shows no updates availables and when you update in the terminal lots of them show up, well it's an old discussion here on forum: by defaulty MU has only level 1-3 enabled, so core libs, kernel are not updated; on the other hand if you update though the terminal, you update the hole system: there's the difference.

The recommended way to update?
- enable all 5 levels in MU;
- use synaptic;
-

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Plenty of choice :)
uke-eda

Post by uke-eda »

Hi zerozero.

That solves it! Changed the mentioned preferences settings in mintupdate. And sorry if this was allready asked before.

Thanks nevertheless!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ohh no problem at all :)
glad it's working and enjoy it

Return to “LMDE Archive”