Problems with klamav..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please don't cross post. You have posted the exact same post in Suggestions & Feedback which it is not.
That post will be deleted
Husse

Post by Husse »

I checked in Synaptic (which is a GUI to apt-get) and klamav is 0.41
This means you have tried to upgrade version 0.41 with version 0.41 :lol:
I think you should open Synaptic and reinstall klamav
Not that I think you need antivirus, but if you have "serious reasons", go ahead
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I'm curious... Why do you think you need an Anti-Virus program?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Okay dude, take a chill pill. First of all I don't know where you got the idea that Linux is cooperating with Microsoft and becoming less secure as a result. That is some serious misinformation. Secondly, anti virus software in Linux is a waste of disk space, but I don't suppose anything I say to you will convince you of that so you are welcome to run it if it makes you feel better. The reason you are finding little help is because almost no one else here bothers with it. It's not that we don't want to help, we just don't use the stuff.

I took a look at the AV software you mentioned, and the "klamav" component seems to be nothing more than the GUI front end for KDE, not the actual scanner engine. This was probably updated in Gutsy for compatibility reasons. The "clamav" components and data files are the actual virus scanner. As long as those are up to date you should be fine.

The current versions of Mint (Cassandra & Celena) are based on Feisty, not Gutsy. The versions in the repository should be current for Feisty. The next Mint release, "Daryna" will be based on Gutsy.

And finally, you need to understand that many of the people on this board are from different countries and cultures (Husse, for example, is from Sweden) and a lot of them don't speak English as their native language (or speak a culturally different version of English). This makes it easy to misunderstand the meaning of something they say, so you shouldn't be so quick to jump to a negative conclusion. This is one of the friendliest and most helpful boards I have ever been on, and I hang out on a LOT of them.

LOL! "boards" as in Bulletin Board Systems (BBS)! Am I showing my age or what? Make that forums... this is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I have ever been on. So the next time someone says something that rubs you the wrong way, try and assume it's just a mis-communication or a failed attempt at humor. Because of the diverse bunch we have here that happens from time to time (only it's usually Scorp's fault :p) so don't take it so personally.

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

Husse wrote:
I checked in Synaptic (which is a GUI to apt-get) and klamav is 0.41
This means you have tried to upgrade version 0.41 with version 0.41 :lol:

Is that emoticon meant to laugh at me? ...well, ok. So I'm an idiot? See what happened;
Husse wrote:

I think you should open Synaptic and reinstall klamav
Not that I think you need antivirus, but if you have "serious reasons", go ahead

I tried your way, resulting as much as mine. Klamav version 0.41. is still the same...and I'm an idiot??? Think again.
No, I did not think you are an idiot - now I don't know.
The reinstall advice was because I thought it stopped working for you - take a look at the number of posts I have written and you should realize that I can't remember all the details in all posts.
My advice on antivirus is to have an on demand scanner and do a scan now and then - that's what I do and I let it scan my XP as well. Yes - I keep an XP partition because there are a few applications I might need, like a specific book keeping program
Husse

Post by Husse »

To add to the statement about my difficulties remembering what I said to whom
When I started out in the forum today I had 3010 posts (give or take one) This will be # 3025 and the last one for today - have to work also
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by salai »

What is your problem "Samuel E.Krewing"?

If you are living in Finland, you can ask your silly questions in Finnish at Ubuntu-forum http://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/.

PS. This guy is really some kind of an idiot, he goes around asking same questions:
But the cooperation with Gates brings viruses, and that's a fact(see Mac...).

Suomeksi: Lopeta trollaaminen ja keskity raamattuusi.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Mac OS is based on Unix, it's true, but it is a commercial product that runs Microsoft applications (like Office). Ubuntu Linux is not a commercial product, and is not designed to run Microsoft applications. It is a very different situation.
  • The Ubuntu Promise
    Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates...
Yes, you can use Wine, Cedega and other means to run actual MS apps, and there may be some risk in that, but even that has been proven to be a very minimal risk. There were a few tests where people ran Ubuntu and tried to launch MS viruses in Wine and no data was lost as a result.

Ubuntu Linux (which Mint is based on) is a very solid OS and is not "cooperating with Microsoft" in any way that affects security.

But as I said, it's your box, you are welcome to run anything you want on it. Glad I was able to help.

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

There were a few tests where people ran Ubuntu and tried to launch MS viruses in Wine and no data was lost as a result.
Yupp, I read that. The worst that happened was that the virus in Wine copied files to somewhere in the home directory.....
Husse

Post by Husse »

@salai
I don't understand finnish, but I know what Suomeksi means and I have no problems to understand trollaaminen - at least if the first five letters are what I think they are
For you non nordic readers
the nordic languages are very similar except finnish which is not even an indo-european languge
he goes around
Have you found him in other forums?
and
Samuel E.Krewing
is definitely not a "nordic" or "Finnish" name......
Husse

Re: Problems with klamav..

Post by Husse »

I'll read this again and try to find an answer if I find the time. But then I don't want to see any troll of any kind here!
Husse

Re: Problems with klamav..

Post by Husse »

I've read this through again and I'll lock this thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”