Fix Broken Packages???

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Fix Broken Packages???

Post by plowran »

Hi Everyone
I have been trying to update LMDE and it Keeps telling me ERROR Fix Broken Packages....
I first ran the Package Manager and told it to Fix Broken Packages, that did nothing...
I ran "apt update" and that didnt do anything, I then found this on line "sudo apt-get upgrade" and it ran for about 30 min and then I restarted the Laptop.
But still I am getting this Error....
What am I not doing correctly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Fix Broken Packages???

Post by JasonLG »

plowran wrote:Hi Everyone
I have been trying to update LMDE and it Keeps telling me ERROR Fix Broken Packages....
I first ran the Package Manager and told it to Fix Broken Packages, that did nothing...
I ran "apt update" and that didnt do anything, I then found this on line "sudo apt-get upgrade" and it ran for about 30 min and then I restarted the Laptop.
But still I am getting this Error....
What am I not doing correctly?
Give this a shot.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -f && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

Thank you JasonLG
I have done your solution on two desktops today and it is long winded and not a quick fix but both are now up to date with packages lets hope they stay that way :-)
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Ralf1e wrote:Thank you JasonLG
I have done your solution on two desktops today and it is long winded and not a quick fix but both are now up to date with packages lets hope they stay that way :-)
Right on, your welcome.

Not a quick fix? Copy from the code box then paste into a terminal, I'm not sure how much quicker you want. The time it takes to upgrade the packages on your system depends on the speed of your system and the speed of your connection. The upgrade command is no slower then if you upgraded in Synaptic.
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

Hello JasonLG, When I mean not a quick fix I mean the time the computer takes to carry out your instruction.
I didn't realize it was going to clean out and upgrade every package in the system and with the problem as it was it would not upgrade through synaptic, it gave error messages. So it would seem your solution is spot on :D
Thank you very much.
Maybe this should get marked up as Solved now.
I am amazed there are not more posts about this subject, unless it doesn't do it to all computers after install.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Ralf1e wrote:Hello JasonLG, When I mean not a quick fix I mean the time the computer takes to carry out your instruction.
I didn't realize it was going to clean out and upgrade every package in the system and with the problem as it was it would not upgrade through synaptic, it gave error messages. So it would seem your solution is spot on :D
Thank you very much.
Maybe this should get marked up as Solved now.
I am amazed there are not more posts about this subject, unless it doesn't do it to all computers after install.
Yep, i figured you wanted the error fixed and a full update and upgrade so I strung together the appropriate commands. I used dist-upgrade instead of just upgrade since you're using LMDE which is based on Debian testing and it may introduce additional dependencies over time and dist-upgrade handles dependencies better then just upgrade.

Here is a page that tells you what they do.
http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

The && in between the commands just tells it to run one after the other.

Return to “LMDE Archive”