LMDE stable?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
globetrotterdk

LMDE stable?

Post by globetrotterdk »

I really like the idea of LMDE and I am a big fan/user of Linux Mint already. However, I would prefer to have an LMDE version that is stable, where I don't have to deal with the breakages and other issues synonymous with a rolling distribution. Is it possible to install LMDE and redirect it to he Debian stable repositories?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE stable?

Post by TBABill »

Yep! Just download the iso, install, do NOT update right away. First go into /etc/apt/sources.list and change all repos from "testing" to "stable". Then update the system and you will not pull in all the Wheezy updates. However, there is no support for doing this and there are no guarantees that it'll work indefinitely. I can't see why it won't, but if the Mint tools change to keep up with Wheezy then you could see breakages on the Mint side of LMDE.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to freeze the Mint tools updates so that they maintain compatibility with Squeeze?
kvv

Post by kvv »

I would suggest you to mintify Debian stable, rather than the other way around. AFAIK, the Debian stable snapshot has software that is older than the LMDE snapshot [confirmation needed], so I really don't know how well the downgrading will work out once you change the sources list.

Here, see this tutorial. It's not perfect. Notably the font rendering might be bad. But you get the mint-tools.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&p=337925
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Thanks for the suggestions. The following blog article has also been pointed out to me:
http://rivenathos.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... ble-gnome/
Looks interesting.

Return to “LMDE Archive”