Clock 2.30.2 / wheather

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DJ A. J. Slye

Clock 2.30.2 / wheather

Post by DJ A. J. Slye »

The clock applet losses the whether on reboot or logout / login, is this a bug? Every time I Log-in I have to open Location and hit set, then type in my password to get Clock to display the weather, this does not happen in Ubuntu or Debian.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CiaW

Re: Clock 2.30.2 / wheather

Post by CiaW »

This may or may not be helpful to you, but for weather I have a little weather panel applet I added to the top panel. After I added a top panel, of course. I'm used to having some of my frequently used programs available to start via one click on the panel and I didn't want to add more stuff to the bottom panel. Just right click on the panel and select add, then when the widget is there you right click on it and select preferences and give it your location.

Of course on lmde for some reason it shows that it's dark out most of the day (with the moon symbol) and then it shows the sunshine sometime in the late afternoon into the evening, even though my system time is set to US Pacific time and the time on the panel shows correct am and pm time. That part is a bit annoying.... but hopefully it'll get figured out someday. I think there's some sort of internal clock that thinks it's in Europe somewhere or something...

I actually don't use the clock applet for that purpose (weather) though I have used it (on other distros) to help me figure out what time it is somewhere else. Maybe someone else will chime in too.
narnie

Post by narnie »

I would like to bump this thread.

I have come to LMDE from Mint 9 (and past Ubuntu experience) but have no experience with Debian. I don't understand why to change my location, even when I try to change a location to a location within the same timezone, it asks for a password. This behavior is quite different from Ubuntu and Mint 9.

Can someone help this problem and bring into LMDE the ability to change locations (and even time zones) without a password?

Thanks,
Narnie
narnie

Post by narnie »

narnie wrote:I would like to bump this thread.

I have come to LMDE from Mint 9 (and past Ubuntu experience) but have no experience with Debian. I don't understand why to change my location, even when I try to change a location to a location within the same timezone, it asks for a password. This behavior is quite different from Ubuntu and Mint 9.

Can someone help this problem and bring into LMDE the ability to change locations (and even time zones) without a password?

Thanks,
Narnie
I'm specifically talking about the Gnome panel's clock (in addition to it's loosing the weather info as well).
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Do you have the " ntp " package installed?
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
narnie

Post by narnie »

rivenathos wrote:Do you have the " ntp " package installed?
Yes, ntp package is installed and is working. Should that relate to permissions on changing locations, though?

Narnie
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

The " ntp " package coordinates with an Internet time server so your machine always has the correct time. I was thinking that package woul dhelp you with making sure the weather was accurate after you set your default location.

As per asking for the password, I thought that was normal for Debian. Hmmm...
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “LMDE Archive”