Should there be a netbook remix?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
casey972oo

Re: Should there be a netbook remix?

Post by casey972oo »

PcPixel wrote:I found a guide online for making a "netbook remix" of Linux Mint. To try it out, this is what you need to do:
1. Get Linux Mint 8 installed on your netbook.
2. Install all patches.
3. In the Package Manager, install "maximus" and "window-picker-applet".
4. Move the main panel to the top of the screen.
5. Remove the default task manager, and add the Windows Picker applet to the main bar.
6. Under "Start Up Programs", make sure that Maximus will run on start up.
7. Reboot your netbook.

The performance is not bad at all, and this maximizes the screen real estate for Mint. I've been very happy with it, and just recently converted a friends netbook the same way. I realize this isn't a full blown netbook remix, but it's definitely a better way to use Mint on the small screen.

Hi there ! ...

I have a smal 'TOSHIBA-NB1oo-Netbook' ... with a screen of 8,9" ! ... just 512-MB RAM ! ... 8o GB hard-disk ! ...
and run 'LINUX MINT 7 Gloria' on it ! ... it's just fine ! ... I'm realy satisfied with it ! ... and no problems so far ! ...

and ... I will tryout your advice ... with 'maximus' ... and 'windows-picker-applet' ! ...
but ... for all those 'newbies' ... I would vote for ... create a real 'Netbook-Remix' ! ... disigned for those smal netbooks ! ...

that's it ! ... what I wanted to tell you ...
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

casey972oo wrote: Hi there ! ...

I have a smal 'TOSHIBA-NB1oo-Netbook' ... with a screen of 8,9" ! ... just 512-MB RAM ! ... 8o GB hard-disk ! ...
and run 'LINUX MINT 7 Gloria' on it ! ... it's just fine ! ... I'm realy satisfied with it ! ... and no problems so far ! ...

and ... I will tryout your advice ... with 'maximus' ... and 'windows-picker-applet' ! ...
but ... for all those 'newbies' ... I would vote for ... create a real 'Netbook-Remix' ! ... disigned for those smal netbooks ! ...

What's with all the !... ? You do realize that stuff like that makes it very difficult for regular people to actually read what you took the time to type? Plenty of people will just skip over a post like that because it's more hassle than it's worth.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

ThistleWeb wrote:

What's with all the !... ? You do realize that stuff like that makes it very difficult for regular people to actually read what you took the time to type? Plenty of people will just skip over a post like that because it's more hassle than it's worth.
I agree when I see that kind of post I try and scan it, but unless during my quick scan I see something I can easily read and understand I don't go any further as I don't feel like working at reading it. So I just skip it. Hoping someone else's post will clarify it.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
spider2097

Post by spider2097 »

ThistleWeb wrote: I'd argue that neither Ubuntu or Mint are ideally suited to a small or older netbook, for that you'd be looking at some distro as light on resources as possible, anything built on Gnome isn't going to be ideal. That said, I run the main Gnome Mint 10 on my 10" MSI Wind and it runs great, even with Compiz. It's all what you're used to and what performance you expect. I'd imagine that some would look at my netbook and deem it unusably slow, while it's fast and flexible enough for me.
This does raise an interesting point. I use an Asus EeePC 4G (7" screen netbook) bought from eBay. It's original owner had added some extra RAM so it runs 2Gb RAM, I'm not sure what the original RAM size was. I'm able to run Mint 10 Gnome without any problem & it serves my purposes well enough. In fact, it's run the Gnome editions of Mint since Gloria without any faults. (if I say it really quietly, it's even run Mint 10 KDE :!: without serious issue - albeit from the Live DVD). On a personal level, I don't really like these netbook remixes but I can understand why people would favour them. That's my own taste though.

Since there's an Ubuntu NBR, is it difficult to copy the theme/layout off the live CD/DVD of that into an installation of Mint? Or would it depend on which version of Ubuntu the NBR is based on compared to the version of Mint? Would they have to be equivalent or are the later versions backwards compatible?
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

spider2097 wrote: On a personal level, I don't really like these netbook remixes but I can understand why people would favour them. That's my own taste though.
Sorry to put you on the spot Spider but would you enlighten me? :mrgreen: I mean I don't like them either and I don't understand why anyone would favor them. What is good about them? Thanks in advance.
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
spider2097

Post by spider2097 »

donec wrote:Sorry to put you on the spot Spider but would you enlighten me? :mrgreen: I mean I don't like them either and I don't understand why anyone would favor them. What is good about them? Thanks in advance.
Well, with a small screen netbook having all your application launchers on screen and easy to get to is a good thing for some people. It depends how you plan on using your netbook. Does someone who just wants to surf the net really need a fully fledged desktop environment? Personally, I want more from my computer than a netbook remix seems to offer but other people may prefer a simple interface. Maybe I'm missing the point of these netbook remixes & their possible advantages just because I don't like the way they make my screen look :?:

NBR's appear (to me) to be a nice, simple interface that get people "instant" access to their applications without having to worry about navigating menu's. I can see why they would appeal to people who only use their netbooks for basic tasks (surfing the net, email, social networking etc). It's all about how people do what they want to do with their equipment.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

It could also be aimed at people with a big icon fetish :lol: :P
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Thanks Spider I had not thought of it like that since I also want more from my computer than NBR's offer and everything they offer are available with a regular desktop.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

ThistleWeb wrote:

the question is : "Should there be a Netbook-Remix" ! ...

there is no question : "Should there be some dots in your message" ? ...

when you dont like my style of writing ! ... just pass it over ... skip it ! ... and read something else ! ... OK ! ...

ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

casey972oo wrote: .

when you dont like my style of writing ! ... just pass it over ... skip it ! ... and read something else ! ... OK ! ...

In case it escaped your logic circuits, the point of a forum is for people to discus stuff, which means being able to read each others posts. But if you insist. I'd say this is a case of "careful what you wish for", since you're in for a lonely time here, where almost everyone skips your posts in every thread you contribute to, simply because of your "writing style".
spider2097

Post by spider2097 »

casey972oo wrote:the question is : "Should there be a Netbook-Remix" ! ...

Aah, I found these posts hard to read myself & had difficulty understanding what you were trying to say. From what I understand of the forthcoming changes with Ubuntu & Gnome, and the implementation of _both_ Unity (from Ubuntu/Canonical) and Gnome-Shell (from the Gnome project), the need for specific netbook remixes will no longer be there dependent upon whether a distro makes either of these available. Of course, maybe I'm mis-understanding what either of these front-ends will mean for the end user.

BTW, Gloria has passed it's end of support date and so I would suggest upgrading to a newer version.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

ThistleWeb wrote:
casey972oo wrote: .

In case it escaped your logic circuits, the point of a forum is for people to discus stuff, which means being able to read each others posts. But if you insist. I'd say this is a case of "careful what you wish for", since you're in for a lonely time here, where almost everyone skips your posts in every thread you contribute to, simply because of your "writing style".
if you have problem .... with my writingstyle ... it's ... YOUR PROBLEM ! ... but mine ...
you are not forced to read ... what I put in ... into this forum ! ... and I write ... just the way ... I like it ! .... got this ? ...
there are always people like you ... all over this planet ... and they don't have to read ... they just want to read ... for a lonley time ...
this might escape your logic circuits ! ... and they can all skip my postings ... I don't want them to read ... what they don't like ! ...

by the way ... the Question is ! ... " Should there be a Netbook Remix ? " ...
Troken

Post by Troken »

The-Wizard wrote:I have just finished customising Mint 10 LXDE on my aspire one and it runs beautifully

wizard
What kind of customising? How did you solve it? Perhapps you have a screenshot of it? :) I am curious because I belive that either LXDE or a Debian-edition of Mint would be best for older netbooks. Best would of course be a LXDE Debian-edition, but thats for the future.
niop

Post by niop »

Hi All,

Want a Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" with XFCE or LXDE Desktop, latest Video Driver that is able to view 720p / 1080p videos and Flash Videos ( like youtube ) in 720p ( with firefox only ), a lot of usefull applications, and scripts that make the job easier ?

Then take a look at my first release, name EMinteePC ( but also for other netbooks, special kernels are in the download section )
http://eminteepc.freeforums.org

Tested on an Asus EeePC 1101HA

For others, feel free to give me feedback about mising drivers ( wifi / bluetooth ) with the model of the hardware, to enable it into the kernel

Have a good day,
Niop

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”