Twitter etc client for LMDE (Probably solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Twitter etc client for LMDE (Probably solved)

Post by SallyK »

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations - something up to the standard of Gwibber on the main version. (The Debian repos have Gwibber, but it's a seriously, seriously outdated version.)

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Twitter etc client for LMDE

Post by rivenathos »

I use both Gwibber and Pino. And remember, "seriously outdated" does not always equate to bad or non-functional. You have chosen to run a Debian-based distro for a reason. :wink:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thank you, I'll look at Pino.

In this case, though, seriously outdated means just that, the interface is much worse, and it doesn't work with all the features I want. It's like expecting someone to still be running Firefox 2.

As for the Debian thing, I'm running a rolling release because I want to get software when it's ready, not have to wait for some arbitrary six month cut off and reinstall. Most of the time, that isn't a problem, but obviously there are some projects that have slipped through the Debian net for some reason. They don't owe me anything, but I still want the best possible system that works for me, hence my question.

(Sorry, that probably sounded grumpier than I intended. I do tend to object to the assumption that people are always running LMDE because they want the most stable system possible, rather than the easiest to upgrade, but you were trying to be helpful, and I shouldn't give you a hard time about it.)
luis.nando

Post by luis.nando »

Dear SallyK,

look what I did, I added the unstable repos for debian and then pinned some priority to the testing repos. This way I could run
sudo aptitude -t experimental upgrade gwibber
and install the last versions. I did the same for every piece of software I wanted more updated, like shotwell, banshee, etc and afterwards i disabled the ppa.

Like that:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
After, for example:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 500
Last:

sudo apttude -t experimental install(upgrade,...) packagename

Regards.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thank you very much Luis - that's much better. I don't know whether it is exactly the same as the Main edition version, but it's close enough. :-)

Now to hope none of the packages break with anything else, but it seems okay so far.

That was a great help.

(For future reference, I tried Pino, and couldn't get it to authenticate with my Twitter account at all - it just refused to connect. :-( )
luis.nando

Re: Twitter etc client for LMDE (Probably solved)

Post by luis.nando »

Well, that`s the way I use the LMDE and it is my production system... so far it is ok... I wouldn`t change for any windows... you can also see, my screenshots on the dedicated thread, I also managed to get the microsoft office running under playonlinux...
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Twitter etc client for LMDE (Probably solved)

Post by SallyK »

Thank you - I didn't mean to doubt your instructions, just whether I followed them properly.

This is my laptop, so my second most important OS, but as far as I'm concerned, if the project concerned has released it as final version, not a beta, then it's stable enough for me.

Return to “LMDE Archive”