LMDE New ISO??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
trc13

LMDE New ISO??

Post by trc13 »

Already have an exit date for when the new ISO LMDE? There are already many update ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: LMDE New ISO??

Post by wayne128 »

trc13 wrote:Already have an exit date for when the new ISO LMDE? There are already many update ...

LMDE is rolling release

so if you update it becomes latest thus you do not need a new iso.

why you are looking for new iso?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Probably so that you don't have to download a ton of updates after a fresh installation.
slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

wayne128 wrote:
trc13 wrote:Already have an exit date for when the new ISO LMDE? There are already many update ...

LMDE is rolling release

so if you update it becomes latest thus you do not need a new iso.

why you are looking for new iso?
Probably the main reason for the requirement of an updated ISO:
The current Debian installer now uses UUID for drive identification instead of file path, on systems with more than one hard drive controller using multiple drives UUID solves the problem of drive paths changing at a reboot, resulting in the system trying to boot from the wrong drive, it also makes it easier to add/change drives.
Currently with LMDE installing on these systems requires you to format and install LMDE onto your chosen boot drive then later format the extra drives as storage drives and edit the fstab file manually to enter the UUID's, not very newbie friendly.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Currently with LMDE installing on these systems requires you to format and install LMDE onto your chosen boot drive then later format the extra drives as storage drives and edit the fstab file manually to enter the UUID's, not very newbie friendly.

During an upgrade, this changed for LMDE also. After that upgrade, the previous /etc/fstab file, (now fstab.old) replaced automically with a new fstab file, which uses UUID's for driver's identification.
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

slowcoach wrote:urrently with LMDE installing on these systems requires you to format and install LMDE onto your chosen boot drive then later format the extra drives as storage drives and edit the fstab file manually to enter the UUID's, not very newbie friendly.
This can be avoided by removing the extra drives and mounting Grub only on the main (DEV/SDA) It will not add those extra drives to grub.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

As a relatively newbie to Linux (only been using Linux for about two years) a new ISO would be useful as I assume it would save me downloading a lot of updates. I am trying to learn about Linux and like LMDE but as a newbie I am constantly doing things wrong and having to do re-installs. The latest one I was using aptitude terminal to uninstall/remove a program that I didn't want and somehow I uninstalled most of the programs on the system so had to start from scratch again which does not bother me at all as I am constantly trying things out.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

@Dar-es-Salaam
I am trying to learn about Linux and like LMDE but as a newbie I am constantly doing things wrong and having to do re-installs
I know the feeling :wink: You could do image backups with Clonezilla but if you dual boot with Windows then I would suggest Macrium Reflect at http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
I've used Acronis, R-drive and others in the past but I have been using Macrium for the last 2 years with no problems and recommended it as it will save you doing all those updates and only takes 5 minutes.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

In a matter of weeks that new ISO would require downloading a ton of updates. I did not use my laptop for 3 weeks, it was fully updated, and when I turned it on I had to download 350 MB of new files.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
trc13

Post by trc13 »

Acabei de instalar o LMDE e tem mais de 600mb de atualizações!! :oops: :cry: :shock:

Mod: Translated from the Portuguese.

I finished installing the LMDE and has more of 600Mb of updates!!

Return to “LMDE Archive”