change deafult install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

change deafult install

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

serious question:

when you default and overwrite the whole HD in ubuntu or mint it does whatever it does; but - it does not create the recommended /home patition....

I have done the default install - but haven't a clue how and what to do despite all of the referred to info ----. whay the hell doesn't it come with a /home partition already as a deafyult and you just have to size up the amount of the said partition. This way - people that do not know what they are doing at install or later on can have their /home partition intact....Seems rather stupid that everyone recommneds this before or after the fact yet the actual ability leaves one in a quandary.

anyway you can add this somehow Clem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is both easy (if you know :)) and a bit daunting
I don't think we can do much about it as it's inherent in ubiquity, the Ubuntu installer. It is a good installer, but has its quirks
You select manual partitioning - then right click your /home partition and select edit partition and select home as mountpoint
You then select the partition you are going to use as root the same way - this one is to be formatted, so be careful
This is if you have a home already
If not - apart from the swap partition - create two partitions - again you must choose manual partitioning
One of a bout 6 GB for root ( / ) and the rest for home
You select the mountpoints as above
No big deal - but yes it should be done "by default"
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Thanks Husse. I appreciate your comments. I just do not understand enought o figure this out I am afraid. I will keep scratching around trying to get a handle on this so I can do a separate home partition....I would like that very much; but...

GW
Husse

Post by Husse »

On an existing system you can follow this guide
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
When you install, and this is a repetition of the above, but I'll try to be clearer
You have managed to install, so that's not the problem
When you install you arrive at the step where you are asked how you want to use your disk.
Don't use the default suggestion - select Manual partitioning
If you use the entire disk do as follows
Create a partition that is 6 GB, mark for format
Right click the new partition > Edit partition > You will find that it is set as /media/"something". In the pull down menu select / (which is root)
Create a swap partition. If you have less than 1 GB memory twice the size of your memory, else the same size
Create a partition of the rest of the disk
Right click the new partition > Edit partition > You will find that it is set as /media/"something". In the pull down menu select /home
If this is a completely new system select format for this partition. If this is an existing system don't format (of course)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

OK - thnak you. I wasn't sure what to call these paritions - etc. I have seen things like hda/dsa1 or whatever etc. and I had no clue what to do.

I am running original celena - no updates and all is rather well or extremely well so I am not redoing or upgrading or anything - it works and this has been the best linux adventure so far so that is where i am at. I would like to be able to tweak what I have now without redoing it. if I can get this partition to work with what i have - how do I shift my files over to /home? or does that do it automatically? / = root - partition what is that? the actual OS on it?

thanks. sorry for the brief reply - off to work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”