Is Debian Mint KDE possible in near future?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fargo

Is Debian Mint KDE possible in near future?

Post by Fargo »

Hi all, I really like Mint KDE10 but I'm a little hesitant to use a Ubuntu based distro. Are the developers considering a KDE version of Mint Debian?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is Debian Mint KDE possible in near future?

Post by AlbertP »

You can install KDE after installing Mint Debian. Or use Debian KDE (if that exists) and install Mint things on top of it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

AlbertP wrote:You can install KDE after installing Mint Debian. Or use Debian KDE (if that exists) and install Mint things on top of it.
It would seem to me that in doing that I am creating a custom distro though and I would loose much of the stability and features that make Mint what it is. Since I am just a simple end user I want things to be simple and easy to use. I don't want to create my own distro. I just want a solid up to date Debian based KDE distro.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You are using the packages from Debian's repository so you don't need to worry about stability.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Dr.m0x

Re: Re: Is Debian Mint KDE possible in near future?

Post by Dr.m0x »

AlbertP wrote:You are using the packages from Debian's repository so you don't need to worry about stability.
+1. In the future mint kde and all editions except the core gnome release will be rebased off debian testing but for now installing kde post install will result in a similar system with the exception perhaps of software selection.

Sent from my Android baby.
Fargo

Re: Re: Is Debian Mint KDE possible in near future?

Post by Fargo »

Dr.m0x wrote:
AlbertP wrote:You are using the packages from Debian's repository so you don't need to worry about stability.
+1. In the future mint kde and all editions except the core gnome release will be rebased off debian testing but for now installing kde post install will result in a similar system with the exception perhaps of software selection.

Sent from my Android baby.
Is that official? I hadn't seen that posted anywhere. So will KDE then be the primary desktop for the Debian edition with the gnome edition built off of that? What are they doing with the gnome edition? Are they going to continue to have a Ubuntu base as well as Debian for gnome? Are there any estimates on when the new Debian based editions will start to show up?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Clem said that only main edition will be ubuntu based and LMDE Gnome and all the other desktop variants offered by Mint will be based on debian testing...

No KDE will not be the main base for the debian testing...it will be offered along with all the others including the original LMDE gnome based version...

So, for gnome (and gnome only) one could choose from the ubuntu based main edition or LMDE gnome (debian testing based)...

Hope that clears it up for you :)
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

craig10x wrote:Clem said that only main edition will be ubuntu based and LMDE Gnome and all the other desktop variants offered by Mint will be based on debian testing...

No KDE will not be the main base for the debian testing...it will be offered along with all the others including the original LMDE gnome based version...

So, for gnome (and gnome only) one could choose from the ubuntu based main edition or LMDE gnome (debian testing based)...

Hope that clears it up for you :)

Thanks, that clears it up. I can follow that logic and if Clem said it, it must be fact. It also makes sense. It seemed like it would be an awful lot of work to maintain a Ubuntu base and Debian base for everything. I can only imagine the naming confusion that it would entail as well. But with the popularity of the Mint Gnome version, I can understand keeping the original Gnome version based on Ubuntu and also having a Debian version. I look forward to seeing the new Mint KDE when it arrives.

Of course now I must decide if I wait for the Debian Mint KDE version or just go ahead and install Mint 10. Or of course their is also Mepis which I have been eyeing lately as well. But if Mint KDE is going Debian I think I will move in that direction instead of Mepis. I like Mepis and I like the idea of being based on Debian stable, but at this point there are too many improvements being made to open source software that I want something more up to date. Besides, Mint feels more community oriented than Mepis. I get the impression from Mepis that Warren is the sole developer and the community has little say in the matter.

So I am excited to hear that Mint KDE will be based on Debian testing in the future. Mint will gain at least one new convert, me, when it does make the move. I really like Mint KDE 10 and I can understand the concerns that many have moving away from Ubuntu. But I think this will be good for Mint. There are countless Ubuntu based distros to choose from, but from my searching, there are few Debian base KDE distros out there. I think something with the polish and elegance of Mint based on Debian will be very appealing to many.

Return to “LMDE Archive”