Recommended updates?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
headkase

Recommended updates?

Post by headkase »

Hi, this is my first post and I'm new to Linux Mint Debian.

I installed the 64-bit DVD version from the website about 3 or 4 days ago and have the romero repository enabled. I also have a squeeze-backports repository added for IceWeasel 4.0.

What I am wondering is am I up-to-date for Mint Debian? Getting my kernel version:

bill@solomon ~ $ uname -r
2.6.32-5-amd64

That seems old to me. Now, I'm not complaining: this installed system is working perfectly and I am very happy with it. What I am wondering is: is there a newer kernel available or should I just stick with this one as "it's not broken."?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Bill.

Edit:
GNOME 3.0 was also released today. How is that going to come about in Linux Mint Debian?
;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amina

Re: Recommended updates?

Post by amina »

Hi, yes, LMDE's current default kernel is still the 2.6.32.
You could install the Liquorix kernel which I installed when I used LMDE only on a virtual machine. It seemed to work fine but maybe someone who used it on a normal machine can tell you more about this.
As far as I know, Debian unstable already has 2.6.38 which means, we will also get the upgrade sooner or later.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi headsake, welcome to the Forum and to LMDE :)

as amina already said sid has .38.2, so eventually in the near future it will appear in LMDE as well;

if your kernel is working and you don't have any hardware issues, stick with it and wait for the updates, anyway if you are the adventurous type you can try the liquorix kernel http://liquorix.net/ and see how it works in your machine;
You can look though the forum some of our members using it, with mix reactions, in some situations a performance boost in others issues with graphic drivers; it's up to you to choose;
headkase

Post by headkase »

Ok thank you both for the replies! I'll check out that kernel but my initial leanings are I should stick with .32 as everything *is* working perfect! ;) :D
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

You can install a new kernel without removing the current one and then chose which one to use at the grub menu.
I do not remove the older kernels until I am sure the new one works, and usually keep an older one as backup anyway.
So far I have been more and more impressed with the Liquorix kernels, currently using 2.6.38-2.dmz.1 .
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

On my hardware, and that's probably the most important part....each person's hardware....the only gain is it runs cooler than .32. Otherwise I can't really see much benefit to it.
headkase

Post by headkase »

Is there a system simlar to Liquorix which would also provide X and MESA updates? I'm sure I'd like to see kernel + X + MESA at newest stable versions. Anyone have any word on GNOME 3? I'm running Compiz and I know I'll have to turn that off as 3 uses Clutter for compositing.

I have integrated Intel graphics (laptop) so I'm sure I could just use the Liquorix kernel: I wouldn't have to worry about fglrx and nvidia binaries, just use the built in X driver I'm already using.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Gnome3/shell is atm in experimental, that is 2 steps away from LMDE, but the steps in Debian are very slow :lol:
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Regarding graphics drivers the sgfxi script is well regarded for installing them, it is from the maker of smxi and other useful scripts/tools for people running Testing or Unstable based systems.

http://smxi.org/
headkase

Post by headkase »

Thank you for the tips! I tried smxi but once it killed X it took my network manager with it: BCM4311 Wireless (with b43-fwcutter sourced firmware). So, without smxi I went ahead and just installed the liquorix kernel and headers with synaptic:

bill@solomon ~ $ uname -r
2.6.38-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64

Everything still appears to be working, even my wireless driver ;) So, all good: again everyone -> thank you! :D
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I use wicd-curses it works without X
Dr.m0x

Re: Re: Recommended updates?

Post by Dr.m0x »

zerozero wrote:Gnome3/shell is atm in experimental, that is 2 steps away from LMDE, but the steps in Debian are very slow :lol:
Happily the testing is also very through.

Sent from my Android baby.

Return to “LMDE Archive”