downloads just stop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

downloads just stop

Post by jerrybee »

Why do downloads just stop? I've tried several times this morning to get the Mint beta 4 iso file, and part way through the d/l the process just stops. Recently I tried to d/l the new Sabayon iso (2GB) and the same thing happened. I called my ISPs tech support and they said they weren't causing it, that it was caused by the server feeding the file. What is the true reason this happens? And is there a program in Linux that will allow me to resume the download?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well - that download stops, or just crawls ahead sometimes - that's internet...
Use wget from the terminal and you can resume the download.
How to use it? man wget man is our friend
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

download stops

Post by jerrybee »

Husse wrote:Well - that download stops, or just crawls ahead sometimes - that's internet...
Use wget from the terminal and you can resume the download.
How to use it? man wget man is our friend
Thanks. After I'd seen your reply, I looked through many of my Linux books and found nothing on wget.

I'd appreciate your help with a trick to transfer a long URL into the wget line in a terminal. Let's say I go to distrowatch.com, and hover the cursor over the "download info" line -- a (LONG) URL will appear at the bottom-left area of Firefox. I can write down that URL, then get into Terminal and start the wget line, then type in the URL -- but surely there's an easier way to do that. I tried the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V copy & paste thing, but it didn't work. And of course if I move the cursor, the URL disappears, killing the chance to use Ctrl-C anyway. What's the trick?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You don't know Right click the link > copy link location?
Piece of cake
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

Husse wrote:You don't know Right click the link > copy link location?
Piece of cake
You can't even begin to imagine what all this newbie doesn't know. Anyway, I just tried it and after figuring out the second right-click the d/l is in progress. Many thanks for your patience and help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”