Debian module breakage

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TheGreatSudoku

Debian module breakage

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

Is anyone familiar with what debian package is responsible for auto-detecting and loading modules at start-up?

Here's the situation. I haven't changed kernels, but I have been upgrading packages. Some userspace program that got upgraded has reeked havoc with modules that are loading (or rather NOT loading) upon startup. When I boot my computer now, I have to unplug and replug my wireless mouse to get it working. Then upon logging in I have to issue modprobes for snd-hda-intel and iwlagn through a terminal to get my wifi and sound to work. My question is what package is responsible for telling the system what modules to load at boot up. It was working fine, now it's broken. I would like to file a bug report, I'm just not certain what package to file the bug report for.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CiaW

Re: Debian module breakage

Post by CiaW »

Just guessing, udev or hal perhaps?
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

ahh udev was updated 4/6/2011. Perhaps that's the culprit. though the devices are recognized at the lspci level. It's the module insertion that seems to be missing. I'll see what i can turn up on the udev dev/bugs page unless anyone else has other suggestions
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

for anyone else using sid, it IS a bug in udev, here's the thread:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=621036
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

And here's the workaround fix

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf /run
reboot

seems the maintainers of udev and base-files would rather bicker over who created and should fix the problem, rather than release a fix for it,
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Thanks!!! I had updated both my Sid & Experimental installs when those updates came thru---I was going to look at the udev bugs & thought to look for info here first....took me minutes to clean up my sound issues....GOOD CATCH!!!! :D
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

The lesson I learned from this is: install the package "apt-listbugs" :lol:
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

I also had serious problems with the udev updates while using nvidia drivers or attempting to. You can see my post on the LMDE breakages topic. Whenever I tried to use nvidia drivers after the udev pkgs. were updated my system would lock at the login screen after displaying error messages at boot about udev not loading properly. I borked my system 2 or 3 times until I looked up some info on udev and discovered the bug you referred to. But, today. after inadvertently reinstalling udev 167.1 again with nvidia drivers and gnome-shell working, everything installed fine and the error messages are gone and udev pkgs. version 167.1 are installed. Maybe someone fixed something or maybe the other 3 times it just didn't install properly. I really don't know. It could have been conflicting with some other package that I don't have reinstalled yet. I only caught it when trying to switch to nvidia drivers because my system locked up requiring me to hold the power button down to shut off the computer and then turning it back on and because of the boot error messages. It was like drivers or modules weren't getting loaded for things like my mouse and perhaps keyboard. Now everything is fine.
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

from what I understand from the flamewar the thread between maintainers of udev and base-files became...

After the breakage was was discovered base-files pushed an update that no longer creates /run. However if /run was already created the update would NOT remove /run. Therefore folks who upgraded after the update to base-files was made are not affected. Folks like me who got caught in the breakage simply has to manually remove /run to restore proper functionality.
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

TheGreatSudoku wrote:from what I understand from the flamewar the thread between maintainers of udev and base-files became...

After the breakage was was discovered base-files pushed an update that no longer creates /run. However if /run was already created the update would NOT remove /run. Therefore folks who upgraded after the update to base-files was made are not affected. Folks like me who got caught in the breakage simply has to manually remove /run to restore proper functionality.
Yeah, I kinda gathered that after reading the bug report chain you had linked. The bug report I had seen earlier just mentioned that rolling back to the old versions of udev solved the problem. Thanks for the info. I wish I had seen it earlier and could have just issued that one line command to rescue the system, but live and learn, I guess. I also now have apt-listbugs installed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”