Mint LMDE & Firefox 4 Flash

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mort

Mint LMDE & Firefox 4 Flash

Post by mort »

OK I've had a good read through of the various topics and so on regarding getting Firefox 4 installed which wasn't a problem... However I can't seem to get Flash working even though FF4 happily shares FF 3.5.6's other addons etc :? Its also dropped my spell checker on both FF's for some reason :?:

I tried going down the route of installing Iceweasel but I get the following error from Package Manager;

iceweasel:
Depends: xulrunner-2.0 but it is not going to be installed

If I try to install xulrunner I get this error;

xulrunner-2.0:
Depends: libcairo2 (>=1.10.2-1.1~bpo60+1) but 1.10.0-1ubuntu2 is to be installed

It mentions checking all required repositories but I've no idea which ones do what :oops:

So I'm now at a bit of a loss... I'm running a AMD X6 64 and on LMDE and FF4 its lightening fast... :mrgreen: Its my one niggle (I can live with any others :lol: ) and I'm hoping to transfer my group of friends and family onto LMDE very soon since I'll be able to do even less in the way of upgrading and problem solving... :lol:

Thanx for reading and thanx for any help in advance...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint LMDE & Firefox 4 Flash

Post by TBABill »

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember something a week or so back that mentioned Iceweasel 4.0 coming from the backports squeeze repo? One thing I do not recall is if there was any mention of other repos carrying any dependencies for it.
Chipshotz

Post by Chipshotz »

The 'Flash-aid' extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... flash-aid/ worked beautifully for me.
mort

Post by mort »

Chipshotz wrote:The 'Flash-aid' extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... flash-aid/ worked beautifully for me.
Well what do you know... It worked beautifully for me too... :mrgreen:

Thank you very much Chipshotz :wink:

I'd still like to try Iceweasel so I'll be keeping an eye on those repo's...

Thanks for the help folks... :)
Chipshotz

Post by Chipshotz »

It's a good feeling when a plan works! :)
mandeep

Post by mandeep »

In the starting problem for the thread, I got the iceweasel 4 working by changing libcairo2 version from 1.10.0 ubuntu to 1.10.2 from lmde testing.

Went to Synaptic->Package->ForceVersion and chose 1.10.2 from testing instead of 1.10.0.ubuntu. I am not sure why the version is 1.10.0 from ubuntu instead of 1.10.2 from testing in lmde default.... looks like a bug.

This allowed me to install iceweasel4 from experimental.
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

mandeep wrote:Went to Synaptic->Package->ForceVersion and chose 1.10.2 from testing instead of 1.10.0.ubuntu. I am not sure why the version is 1.10.0 from ubuntu instead of 1.10.2 from testing in lmde default.... looks like a bug.
It's not a bug, the Mint devs included the Ubuntu version of libcairo2 in the LMDE repos to improve font rendering. I, too, have been using the version from the Debian testing repos for a while now and have not noticed any significant change in font rendering, but ymmv.
mort

Post by mort »

OK no probs installing Iceweasel thanx to the above advice but my flash issues got even worse! I've now started a seperate topic as I believe its not the flash at fault...

This can be found here should anyone else be suffering the same issues...

Return to “LMDE Archive”