Gnome or XFCE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
pepito1

Gnome or XFCE?

Post by pepito1 »

Hello! I'm going to install LMDE on a Pentium III with 256 mb of RAM, but I don't know if I should install the Gnome version or the XFCE version. I supposed that XFCE used less resources, but in http://dasublogbyprashanth.blogspot.com ... 01104.html says that there's no difference between those versions referring to RAM usage. Which version is the lightest?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Gnome or XFCE?

Post by ThistleWeb »

To avoid us going through this again, try this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=70181
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Just an opinion, but I like xfce better than gnome anyway. On top of it using less resources I like the layout better. Though apparently, Thistleweb knows the way that you can exclude Mint menu when installing xfce. He might be encouraged to elaborate on that. Wish I'd have asked him about it or researched it beforehand. Though you might want to keep it in there too.

Have the same issue you do. Low system resources w only 512mb on this comp. I should just breakdown and install another 512 stick on here. If your city is like mine. Can probably get a stick for a couple bucks. Many of the local comp stores have used RAM sticks out in bins people can buy for next to nothing.

I'm just too lazy to crack the case on this box atm, shrugs. But xfce made a big difference on resource usage on this comp. Awesome thing about linux. You can have as many desktops as you want. And switching between them is simply a matter of logging off, choosing the one you want and logging back in.

Had to download 2 packages to get xfce ... xfce meta package and one called xfce goodies. Also put fluxbox on here ( which uses even less resources than xfce ) But don't think it's as user friendly to navigate. Might want to consider it though, with only 256mb's.

Once you've installed xfce, or fluxbox ... whichever you decide on. A person can go to control center in the Mint menu. Look for something called Log-in screen and set whichever desktop they want to be the default in there.

On this system ... xfce with chromium open is using around 174mb's of RAM. If I remember right fluxbox under the same conditions uses about 50mb's less.

(edit) While I'm trying to be helpful. Look up a linux utility called bum, it's a startup manager. You can disable services from starting up that you don't need. Used it and disabled some services I know I won't need on this comp, like bluetooth and it sped things up a bit too. Though caution in using it. People have mentioned someone can mess up their OS with it. If they don't fully understand how to use it and shutdown services the OS needs to run right.

note: All of this is in reference to Mint 10. Though don't see why it wouldn't apply to other versions of mint.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

The Ubuntu or Debian base makes a difference in terms of RAM, Ubuntu is considerably heavier. On a machine with 25mb RAM, any Ubuntu base, even with a light DE or WM is likely gonna push it, whereas the Debian base runs with less resources. As far as removing the Mint Menu is concerned, it's a Gnome-Panel applet, which also needs the compatibility app running, hence the increase in RAM to use it. Right click on the menu button and remove from panel. Right click again and add items, look for the XFCE Menu and add it, slide it into the same spot n the bottom corner if you like and you're done.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

With those resources Debian would be your best choice, you might be better off with antiX or Debian Xfce instead of Mint.
LMDE Xfce has so much Gnome in it, it is not that resource friendly.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Thanks for the instructions Thistleweb,

I'm going to go ahead and keep Mint menu on xfce, 512mb's seems to be able to handle it fine. But on a low resource system. I'm sure 25-30mb's could make a major difference. Been thinking about LMDE myself for awhile.

For whatever reasons, get bad vibe off of ubuntu. Get the impression they're getting too full of themselves with the success of their distro. Ungrateful not to give Debian more credit, if in fact 74% of ubuntu is unchanged Debian code. < Heard that somewhere, don't know if it's correct. Just a newbs impression and opinion though.

Thinking a combination like the Mint developers + Debian, has to be something wonderful. :D Sighs, just got Mint 10 running like a top. Still LMDE is something on my todo list.
JinzoDefiler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JinzoDefiler »

Id throw a curveball in this and say lxde its in the debian repos and is alot more lightweight then xfce or gnome combined but if you have a choice between xfce and gnome id choose xfce since its bit more better coded and can look damn spiffy while not taking many resources away from the system.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

With 256MB of RAM and only a PIII Linux Mint XFCE (or Mint 10 LXDE) is a better option than LMDE.

If you really want GNOME try Debian as LMDE didn't install from the live DVD with 256MB on Virtualbox (usually requires 320-384MB plus SWAP to install).
pepito1

Post by pepito1 »

OK, I'm going to install LMDE with XFCE. Thank you!

Return to “LMDE Archive”