LMDE 201101 won't boot for me

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
brobdinag

LMDE 201101 won't boot for me

Post by brobdinag »

Everything looks fine. Md5 checks out. The disk reads Isolinux, etc., then

I get the countdown screen with Mint graphic, but can't interrupt it with the enter key, or any key for that matter. I never see the menu with grub boot options. At countdown's end it goes into text mode (black screen, white type):
Loading /casper/vmlinuz . . .
Loading /casper/initrd.cc . . . .
Ready.
blinking cursor (just sits there: doesn't respond to keyboard)

I have Mint 10, Ubuntu 10.10, and Fedora 14. All installed no problems.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE 201101 won't boot for me

Post by malligt »

As a test, I have downloaded the 201101 32 bit respin several times from different mirrors and not had any problems. All the downloads "match".

I have successfully loaded the 201101 32 bit respin onto several computers (5) as of this writing....but all installs were from a live usb drive.

Some thoughts here:
My suggestions would be to try the live usb method (if your hardware makes this possible)....and/or re-burn your dvd at the slowest possible speed on your pc, and/or finally try another pc to burn the dvd at the lowest possible speed.

Try another free burning piece of software....Image Burn, Ashampoo Burning Studio 6....for example.
brobdinag

Post by brobdinag »

Thanks for your response malligt on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 pm.

I did the original burn with ImgBurn, and the DVD works fine on my son's laptop. I was leaning toward it being a graphic card issue with my ati radeon x600, but then why does the countdown screen display correctly? The only thing I can't do, it seems, is use my keyboard to interrupt the countdown to get to the main menu. I've even tried another keyboard. No joy.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I get the countdown screen with Mint graphic, but can't interrupt it with the enter key, or any key for that matter. I never see the menu with grub boot options. At countdown's end it goes into text mode (black screen, white type):

I did the original burn with ImgBurn, and the DVD works fine on my son's laptop. I was leaning toward it being a graphic card issue with my ati radeon x600, but then why does the countdown screen display correctly? The only thing I can't do, it seems, is use my keyboard to interrupt the countdown to get to the main menu. I've even tried another keyboard. No joy.
hmm, your key board did not response during boot, since it is consistent and the DVD works on other laptops, perhaps you need to be sure the key board is 'set correctly' in BIOS...
Read also this link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414759

hope it helps
brobdinag

Post by brobdinag »

wayne128 wrote:

hmm, your key board did not response during boot, since it is consistent and the DVD works on other laptops, perhaps you need to be sure the key board is 'set correctly' in BIOS...
Read also this link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414759

hope it helps
Well, nothing in the bios seems amiss. Besides it works for all the other distros, so I don't think the keyboard is the problem. Thanks, anyway!
mikeymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikeymouse »

sorry to say the new mint debian 2011-01 still hangs when i try to load the live dvd on my desk top.
It loads fine on my laptop but on my desktop it just Loading /casper/vmlinuz . . .
Ready.
Hope you can get this problem fixed soon..
Thanks for all the work..
much appreciated
mikeymouse
IIJETHROII

Post by IIJETHROII »

Same thing for me! Black screen at boot! I am going to try it with a live usb and give you some news.
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

mikeymouse wrote:sorry to say the new mint debian 2011-01 still hangs when i try to load the live dvd on my desk top.
It loads fine on my laptop but on my desktop it just Loading /casper/vmlinuz . . .
Ready.
much appreciated
mikeymouse
I downloaded LDME 201101 4/8/11 and burned the image to DVD with both brasero and k3b (using Ubuntu 10.01 LTS). Neither will boot and I receive the same screen as mentioned above. Here is my video card info:
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]

Board: Intel Corporation DG31PR AAD97573-302
Serial Number: BTPR849002JU
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. PRG3110H.86A.0052.2008.0612.1910 06/12/2008

I read elsewhere about trying "nomodset", etc...no change; when I enter in compatability mode, I get the additional entry "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)

I would appreciate help as I do want to try LMDE. The DVD disc in a DVD+RW...I wonder whether That could be the problem.
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

azurehi wrote:
mikeymouse wrote:sorry to say the new mint debian 2011-01 still hangs when i try to load the live dvd on my desk top.
Ready.
much appreciated
mikeymouse
I downloaded LDME 201101 4/8/11 and burned the image to DVD with both brasero and k3b (using Ubuntu 10.01 LTS). Neither will boot and I receive the same screen as mentioned above. Here is my video card info:
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]

Board: Intel Corporation DG31PR AAD97573-302
Serial Number: BTPR849002JU
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. PRG3110H.86A.0052.2008.0612.1910 06/12/2008

I read elsewhere about trying "nomodset", etc...no change; when I enter in compatability mode, I get the additional entry "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)

I would appreciate help as I do want to try LMDE. The DVD disc in a DVD+RW...I wonder whether That could be the problem.
Burned image to DVD-R...still will not boot.

Tried linuxmint 201104 xfce...same result
Gutknecht

Post by Gutknecht »

I'm having the same problem. Thought it was the earlier spin, but downloaded and burned most recent and get same results. Linux Mint Isadora Installed fine...
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

don't waste DVDs. Try to boot from USB flash, then give it up ;)

gksu unetbootin is your friend
flash formatted as FAT (sudo mkdosfs /dev/yourflashdev) [find out the flash device by sudo fdisk -l]

If it doesn't work, install debian & convert it into LMDE. There are some tutorials at community page.

Another possiblity is to grab the HDD out of the PC and attach it to another, where it boots up fine. Install it there & return the HDD to its original machine.

Return to “LMDE Archive”