Partition Criteria at Install [Solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DataMan

Partition Criteria at Install [Solved]

Post by DataMan »

2011-04-17 Update:

Further investigation found that any partition ending in a "10" was disabled from installation (64 bit version of LMDE). This was verified on 2011-04-16 when another install was attempted. It was noted at this time that in addition to SDA10 "greyed out", also SDB10 was "greyed out". This installer bug has been been submitted (hasn't been triaged as of this posting).

The final resolution (duh... :lol: ), I dropped sda10 and built a new ext4 partition (new SDA15). The installation proceeded good. The only caveat in all of this is that my /etc/fstab is now amiss for the mounted partitions after sda10 (renumbered).

-DataMan

____________________________End of 2011-04-17 Update_______________________________

Well, I finally decided to give the Mint Debian a tryout. At the partition selection during installation, the desired partition for installation was "greyed out". Specifically it is an ext4~8.9 G on sda. It formerly contained an old version of Mint Flux which was removed when I re-formatted the partition from ext3 to ext4. The other partitions containing my other ops are "active" in the partition selection at install.

Does anyone know what the criteria of eligible partitions for installation is?

Additional installation question on Mint Debian : during the install process will we be given the opportunity to select where GRUB is installed?

TIA,

-DataMan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Partition Criteria at Install

Post by wayne128 »

@DataMan

Not sure what criteria. In my experience, I always partition or format using gparted and confirm with fdisk. when both reports no problem, usually there is no trouble with Mint installer.
Some other distros have trouble as they used cfdisk..
Additional installation question on Mint Debian : during the install process will we be given the opportunity to select where GRUB is installed?
Yes, installer allow you to select root partition in addition to MBR.

I borrow this thread that has the first link to the slide show.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63363
see slide #13, click that little arrow to expand and select your root partition.
Then just chainload to it from grub legacy.
DataMan

Re: Partition Criteria at Install

Post by DataMan »

Thanks for the response.

I've been through these installers many times before.

The original (and continuing) situation is that the Mint Debian installer is not identifying the specific partition (it's greyed out) as eligible for the install. As I mentioned above, it is formatted to ext4 and should be available. The other partitions on the drive are all identified as eligible.

To the customary first questions response. The md5 checksum was checked against download value both on the downloaded files as well as the burned DVD.

Need to move on with work-work for a while and won't have an opportunity to "play" around with this for a week or so.

Thanks,

-DataMan

Return to “LMDE Archive”