[SOLVED] LMDE - Videos - Flashplugin

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Yeticannotski

[SOLVED] LMDE - Videos - Flashplugin

Post by Yeticannotski »

Dear All,

I am a dumb newbie, please have mercy.

That said, I am having a real hard time with videos on Firefox and I am imagine that the issue may be with flashplugin.

When I start watching a video, everything seems fine, but after one minute or two the image and sound become choppy and, most important, everything gets soooo slow. The strangest part is that the whole system remains slow even after I close Firefox and try to kill any processes I find with top that seem to be consuming to much resources.

The system, and particularly Firefox if I restart it, then remains "semi-frozen" like that for several minutes.

Any ideas? Is it dangerous or non-advisable to replace mint-flashplugin with flashplugin-nonfree?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or information.

Yeti
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: LMDE - Videos - Flashplugin

Post by viking777 »

Is it dangerous or non-advisable to replace mint-flashplugin with flashplugin-nonfree?
I don't have 'mint-flashplugin' installed on my LMDE (which is a pretty standard installation) but I do have flashplugin-nonfree installed. I have never noticed any problems with videos either, but then normally I will run them from Opera and sometimes from Chrome, but hardly ever from Firefox.

I would install the remove the mint plugin and replace it with the nonfree plugin, and if that doesn't work install Opera or Chrome as well as FF.
Yeticannotski

Re: LMDE - Videos - Flashplugin

Post by Yeticannotski »

viking777 wrote:I would install the remove the mint plugin and replace it with the nonfree plugin, and if that doesn't work install Opera or Chrome as well as FF.
Just did that. The system asked me to remove "mint-codec" and another mint package in order to install flashplugin-nonfree, which made me somewhat apprehensive, but everything seems to be working fine, including videos and mp3's.

Thanks a lot.
Yeticannotski

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE - Videos - Flashplugin

Post by Yeticannotski »

P.S. - Even with the nonfree-flashplugin, performance was really unsatisfactory. I switched to Iceweasel 4 and now things seem to be alright.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE - Videos - Flashplugin

Post by mzsade »

Removed mint-flashplugin and installed non free, took care of the problem for me too, thanks.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Return to “LMDE Archive”