more curiosity

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jtouso
Level 1
Level 1

more curiosity

Post by jtouso »

Hi again,
Some questions about ATI/Radeon graphic charts (about 9550 AGP) and "special" effects with compiz-fussion or beryl:
1-The ati free driver from xorg works very well with beryl and compiz (if you have xserver-xgl module installed)
2-The new fglrx (official ATI-AMD driver) for first time supports aiglx and I thinks it works great with compiz AFTER installed.
3-Sometimes you need to write by yourself in xorg.conf the order to works compiz correctly, as Composite or XAANoffscreenPixmaps or AIGLX in different sections and reboot the graphic server to work....
4-I suppose that compiz and beryl works "similar"

Are the sentences true? My some of you "easy explainers" write an easy instructions (easy for a 5 years old child) about this?

It is very difficult to me understand why the same two PC, a new one with ATI X550 PCI graphic chart and an old one with ATI 9550 AGP graphic chart using in live-mode works different with some of the last new distros:

Sabayon 3.4f O.K. It ask you during begining to use XGL
Kanotix RC6b ok without asking you
LinuxMint 3.1 o.k. when you mark for special Desktop effects
LinuxMint 4.0 beta...fails
Knoppix 5.10 ok writing the script beryl
Mandriva One 2007 ok

But I like the one don' t work: LinuxMint 4.0 beta!!!!!!
thanks
Jose
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jtouso
Level 1
Level 1

Re: more curiosity

Post by jtouso »

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

jtouso wrote:Some questions about ATI/Radeon graphic charts (about 9550 AGP) and "special" effects with compiz-fussion or beryl:

1-The ati free driver from xorg works very well with beryl and compiz (if you have xserver-xgl module installed)
No, with the open-source driver you don't need Xgl. The proprietary "fglrx" driver is what needed Xgl (up to version 8.41).
jtouso wrote:2-The new fglrx (official ATI-AMD driver) for first time supports aiglx and I thinks it works great with compiz AFTER installed.
No again. Video overlay is broken with the new 8.42 driver & Compiz or Beryl. The older "fglrx" driver with Xgl works better.
jtouso wrote:3-Sometimes you need to write by yourself in xorg.conf the order to works compiz correctly, as Composite or XAANoffscreenPixmaps or AIGLX in different sections and reboot the graphic server to work....
Normally those tweaks aren't required, but they can make it run better.
jtouso wrote:4-I suppose that compiz and beryl works "similar"
No, Beryl was a much more polished application. Compiz-Fusion has a terrible user interface, and generally runs slower than Beryl on the same hardware. The Beryl-Project, unfortunately, is now dead as they have merged back with the Compiz devs on the Compiz-Fusion project. :(
jtouso wrote:Are the sentences true? My some of you "easy explainers" write an easy instructions (easy for a 5 years old child) about this?

It is very difficult to me understand why the same two PC, a new one with ATI X550 PCI graphic chart and an old one with ATI 9550 AGP graphic chart using in live-mode works different with some of the last new distros:

Mandriva One 2007 ok

thanks
Jose
jtouso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtouso »

Lolo Uila wrote:
jtouso wrote:Some questions about ATI/Radeon graphic charts (about 9550 AGP) and "special" effects with compiz-fussion or beryl:

No, with the open-source driver you don't need Xgl. The proprietary "fglrx" driver is what needed Xgl (up to version 8.41).
jtouso wrote:2-The new fglrx (official ATI-AMD driver) for first time supports aiglx and I thinks it works great with compiz AFTER installed.
No again. Video overlay is broken with the new 8.42 driver & Compiz or Beryl. The older "fglrx" driver with Xgl works better.
jtouso wrote:3-Sometimes you need to write by yourself in xorg.conf the order to works compiz correctly, as Composite or XAANoffscreenPixmaps or AIGLX in different sections and reboot the graphic server to work....
Normally those tweaks aren't required, but they can make it run better.
jtouso wrote:4-I suppose that compiz and beryl works "similar"
No, Beryl was a much more polished application. Compiz-Fusion has a terrible user interface, and generally runs slower than Beryl on the same hardware. The Beryl-Project, unfortunately, is now dead as they have merged back with the Compiz devs on the Compiz-Fusion project. :(
jtouso wrote:Are the sentences true? My some of you "easy explainers" write an easy instructions (easy for a 5 years old child) about this?

Mandriva One 2007 ok

thanks
Jose
OK, I try again:

1-The ati free driver from xserver-xorg works very well, (it has 3d acceleration) with beryl (sure and tested) and compiz (not sure). Also with compizfussion??

2-The new fglrx (official ATI-AMD driver) for first time supports aiglx...and is supossed works well with compizfussion. If not with the last fglrx official ATI-AMD driver, the idea is to have fglrx + AIGLX driver.

3-Until the "magic" new official fglrx + aiglx arrives, we need to use actual official fglrx + XGL if we want 3d acceleration.

4-If you use ati opensource driver, from xserver-xorg, you can "re-write" your xorg.conf with more orders to have better results (XAANoOffscrenPixmaps, render acceleration...) but you don´t need to add Composite extensions.

5-I know Beryl is not implemented but...it is possible to use it on new Ubuntu 7.10-like distros and uninstall CompizFussion? Beryl works well.
How to do?

Thanks again
Jose
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

jtouso wrote: OK, I try again:

1-The ati free driver from xserver-xorg works very well, (it has 3d acceleration) with beryl (sure and tested) and compiz (not sure). Also with compizfussion??
The Linux open-source ATI driver does support 3D accelleration, but only on older cards (the new X1k/X2k series cards are not supported). Also, the "fglrx" driver is supposed to be faster. If you can use the open-source driver and it performs well on your system then you should probably stick with it. It worked well with everything (including Beryl and Compiz) on my older X800 XT PE. It's not an option for me any longer with my new X1950. :(
jtouso wrote:2-The new fglrx (official ATI-AMD driver) for first time supports aiglx...and is supossed works well with compizfussion. If not with the last fglrx official ATI-AMD driver, the idea is to have fglrx + AIGLX driver.
I'm not sure what you are asking here. The new 8.42 "fglrx" driver does support AIGLX and compositing, but video overlay is broken. Videos flicker badly when Compiz or Beryl is running as the window manager. This does not happen with the older (non-AIGLX) driver and Xgl. For now I still recommend the older driver and Xgl for people that want to use the "fglrx" driver.
jtouso wrote:3-Until the "magic" new official fglrx + aiglx arrives, we need to use actual official fglrx + XGL if we want 3d acceleration.
Until they fix the video overlay issue that is my recommendation. Ultimately it's up the the user. The 8.42 driver does 3D fine. If you don't care about watching videos then you won't have a problem. If you want to be able to watch videos without having to turn off Compiz/Beryl then stick to the older "fglrx" driver with Xgl.

I tried the new 8.42 "fglrx" driver in Daryna/Gutsy with Xgl and it ran poorly (slow and choppy). I have not tried it with Xgl in Celena yet. In Celena I am using the older 8.34 "fglrx" driver from the Ubuntu restricted repository with Xgl, and it runs Beryl and Compiz-Fusion very well.
jtouso wrote:4-If you use ati opensource driver, from xserver-xorg, you can "re-write" your xorg.conf with more orders to have better results (XAANoOffscrenPixmaps, render acceleration...) but you don´t need to add Composite extensions.
Correct. AIGLX and Composite Extensions are enabled by default.
jtouso wrote:5-I know Beryl is not implemented but...it is possible to use it on new Ubuntu 7.10-like distros and uninstall CompizFussion? Beryl works well.
How to do?
I have heard that others have installed the Feisty debs for Beryl and it works under Daryna/Gutsy, but I have not tried this myself (yet).
jtouso wrote:Thanks again
You're welcome. :)

Aloha, Tim
jtouso
Level 1
Level 1

Mint xfce and ati

Post by jtouso »

Just download Mint-Xfce and try in Sempron with Ati X550 (pci chart) in live mode: CompizFusion: ok and wonderfull.
I have now installed on hd as my linux distro.
Trying to do the same in my old AMD Athlon with Ati 9550 (agp chart) in live mode. CompizFusion: not working and any answer to clic over activate.
Both uses ati opensource free driver but one works and the other one no. With Beryl any problem: both works ok.
What is the difference in Compizfusion between the two graphic charts using the same ati opensourece driver?
Thanks
Jose
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Hmm...not sure about that one. If Beryl works I would expect Compiz-Fusion to work as well. If one works and the other doesn't I can only think it might be an installation problem. Try and completely remove Compiz (and maybe Beryl too) and reinstall it.

Aloha, Tim

Return to “Other topics”