Unable to log in to computer after update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
frila

Unable to log in to computer after update

Post by frila »

I have been running the "big update" using the commands apt-get update and after that apt-get upgrade. Everything looked nice but after reeboot I'm not able to log into my machine. Grub starts correctly and login window opens with computer name but no username or password possibillities. The computer can only be reebooted/shut down by using the power switch.
I'm in a bad mood now :( ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Unable to log in to computer after update

Post by mads »

frila wrote:I have been running the "big update" using the commands apt-get update and after that apt-get upgrade. Everything looked nice but after reeboot I'm not able to log into my machine. Grub starts correctly and login window opens with computer name but no username or password possibillities. The computer can only be reebooted/shut down by using the power switch.
When you see Grub select recovery mode. When you get to terminal, run:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot

I hope it works. Why this has happened? Because in LMDE you should not run "apt-get upgrade" command at all.
ivan_rookie

Post by ivan_rookie »

After an update a while ago my default writing language for the login prompt changed. I got so scared I couldn't log in, but I just had to switch languages. Let's hope that's your case too.
frila

Post by frila »

mads wrote:
frila wrote:I have been running the "big update" using the commands apt-get update and after that apt-get upgrade. Everything looked nice but after reeboot I'm not able to log into my machine. Grub starts correctly and login window opens with computer name but no username or password possibillities. The computer can only be reebooted/shut down by using the power switch.
When you see Grub select recovery mode. When you get to terminal, run:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot

I hope it works. Why this has happened? Because in LMDE you should not run "apt-get upgrade" command at all.
Yes, partly. I had to run in text mode in recovery mode. After activating network i could do the dist-upgrade. After rebooting i enter LMDE in a poor graphic mode with a baby blue background, desktop icons without graphics no start menu or other icons at the bottom. The only thing I can do is opening folders and a terminal :( .

Return to “LMDE Archive”