Linux Mint Xfce (201104) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
aljoriz

Re: Linux Mint Xfce (201104) released!

Post by aljoriz »

Factor-H wrote:HP printer connection/control not working even after latest actualization.

I.E. Ink control, and possibly other control settings, in NOT working.
It does not go from "Normal" to "Draft", resulting in ink loss.

What should be the "proper" drivers, if CUPS works correctly on the main distro?
If you know how to re-fill the ink it wouldn't matter :lol: seriously no one from hplip has 'fixed' that normal to draft printing bug. I recall that started when ubuntu rolled out the 9.04 LTS where they replaced cups with HPIJS
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

with both LM xfce 2011.04 and LM DE 2011.01, I get the following:

just Loading /casper/vmlinuz . . .
Loading /casper/initrd.cc . . . .
Ready.
blinking cursor (just sits there)

My desktop: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]

Board: Intel Corporation DG31PR AAD97573-302
Serial Number: BTPR849002JU
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. PRG3110H.86A.0052.2008.0612.1910 06/12/2008

any suggestions
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Salü ! ... ' azurehi ' ! ...

from where are you booting ? ... from CD/DvD ? ... it will take a while ... to start up ! ... just wait ! ...

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Press Enter, type continue and again press Enter. Does it work now?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

casey972oo wrote:Salü ! ... ' azurehi ' ! ...

from where are you booting ? ... from CD/DvD ? ... it will take a while ... to start up ! ... just wait ! ...

Booting from DVD...After One Hour, No Change, No Boot
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

AlbertP wrote:Press Enter, type continue and again press Enter. Does it work now?
I am not sure where to enter Enter. Whether I let DVD go into regular or compatability mode, nothing changes. If I hit Tab and then type continue, the result is the same...cannot get to desktop to install
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

One problem.When I click ' shut down ' and select ' Restart ' , it merely shut down the running OS, but not as far down as the boot loader. So it merly restarts the same OS.
Other distros shut down to the botloader, and you get the option to boot another OS on the boot loader.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

XFCE seems to do that. I've read about a way around this, but the simplest way in the mean-time is to carry out a 'Shutdown' to power-off, then turn the PC back on.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

azurehi wrote:

I had about the same expierience ... with some different ' distros ' ! ... don't boot at all ! ... I don't know why ! ...
maybe is something with the BIOS ! ... or try a smaler version .. to boot from CD ! .. or USB ! ...

that's all I can tell about this effect ! ...

casey972oo

wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

StanTheMan wrote:One problem.When I click ' shut down ' and select ' Restart ' , it merely shut down the running OS, but not as far down as the boot loader. So it merly restarts the same OS.
Other distros shut down to the botloader, and you get the option to boot another OS on the boot loader.

I think it is kexec-tool. you can safely uninstall it.
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

casey972oo wrote:
azurehi wrote:

I had about the same expierience ... with some different ' distros ' ! ... don't boot at all ! ... I don't know why ! ...
maybe is something with the BIOS ! ... or try a smaler version .. to boot from CD ! .. or USB ! ...

that's all I can tell about this effect ! ...

casey972oo

Thanks for your suggestions and those3 of others. Using Unetbootin and changing the BIOS, I was able to successfully boot to desktop...so now I can install LMDE 201101 when I am ready.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Salü ! ... ' azurehi ' ! ...

so ! ... when this problem is [solved] ! ... mark this in the theme ! ... please ! ...
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Great to see this release am trying it right now but for some reason my internet connection speed is way down.. the updates are taking forever.
usually got downloads speeds of 6 to 8 hundred kbs tonight only getting 50 to 80 kbs.
hope that's not going be be always.

In any event thanks for all the hard work on a great distro.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

The 64-bit version is the biggest disappointment for many years. Not only is the .iso unnecessarily bloated, but the (unhindered!) install took six hours and contains loads of stuff that the average user will never want. The installer is a pain. There were the 337 updates immediately listed. Etc., etc. This is not at all the sort of distro that has made Mint so popular, although it may fit the bill amongst the tiny coterie of guru developers. Those gents probably wouldn't want Xfce, though, as it is a user-oriented desktop? This one has no advantage over straight Debian? For the moment, I will continue to use 32-bit Mint 9. Sad that merlwiz ran into so many personal issues, but it might have been better if he handed over control of the Xfce Mint operation to another developer whilst offering as much help as his circumstances permit. Everyone is allowed one mistake with the best of intentions, perhaps this is a decision Clem will wish to forget?
For the few who might agree with my analysis, have you seen what Tazoc achieves in ~200Mb of .iso LHP - absolutely stunning. Bloat is the marque we have come to associate with another OS - please, there's no shame in putting the world's favourite back to it's former slim, fast and functional status.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I was able to install the 64-bit just as fast as 32-bit Linux, in less than 15 mins. And the bloat of Mint 10 Gnome 32-bit and Mint 10 Gnome 64-bit is exactly the same, but 64-bit compiled binaries are a little bit bigger than 32-bit ones: that's the reason the ISO has some more MB's. Again, it is not a very big difference and it is not 20 times bigger than 32-bit. That you need 6 hours is not caused by the 64-bit itself, it's a strange bug in the installer that can also happen with 32-bit.

And the updating after install is still much faster than when you install Windows XP or Vista (I haven't tried 7; it may have less updates as it's newer but don't expect much difference) and let it update everything.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Thanks, Albert. All you say is true, of course. I've followed the various nuances of most of the main players this last decade or two. However, facts are facts; the end result, in this case, is just not what users expect or should expect when other developers have circumvented these vagaries. Nor is it reasonable that such should be permitted to sully the reputation of one of the world's leading distros.
Lady Quindecim

Post by Lady Quindecim »

Albert, I am no expert, but I experienced the same sort of update experience with 7 as XP & Vista. They try and keep it out of your face, but for the next few reboots, it has to "install updates - please wait while we update our computer that we are nice enough to let you use from time to time."

And, yes, I back up your comments on the speed of the install... and you get to use it during the install!

The language packs, in my experience, seem to take as long as everything else combined, but they can be skipped.
mimix

Post by mimix »

I second everything "How-old!" wrote.

I'm a fan of Mint but this release seemed rushed to me. The updates after the install and the overall size are the main issues, besides the presence of HAL and pulseaudio (probably Debian's fault, though).

Looking forward to a new mainstream LMDE release.
wangsuda

Post by wangsuda »

I have to be honest - with a bit of advice from this board, I found LDME easy to set up and gear it towards teaching. The apps I need were in the software center. I've installed things, removed them, played with kernels, and basically have done my best to break this - it hasn't broken. Personally, I love the stability and simplicity of LDME xfce. I won;t be going back to Ubuntu.
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

Quick question. I installed it and it's running great, but the installer was a bit different and I did not partition a swap file (I didn't know how), is that a problem? The entire HD was dedicated to the image. (Thanks, I'm still a noob)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”