Wine - not the drinking variety!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Wine - not the drinking variety!

Post by tenfoot »

I've installed Wine from the distribution disk and ended up with seven files in the Menu structure - Wine configuration, Wine File, Wine Help Browser (which doesn't appear to work), Wine Notepad, Wine RegEdit, Wine Software Uninstaller, and WineMine.

But what do I do next? The only program I wish to run under Wine is Family Historian - a genealogy application.

I've trawled through the WineHQ FAQs without succes, so look to one of you kind people to set me right.

Regards from New Zealand on a very pleasant Tuesday afternoon.

Tenfoot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dracorX

Re: Wine - not the drinking variety!

Post by dracorX »

tenfoot wrote:I've installed Wine from the distribution disk and ended up with seven files in the Menu structure - Wine configuration, Wine File, Wine Help Browser (which doesn't appear to work), Wine Notepad, Wine RegEdit, Wine Software Uninstaller, and WineMine.

But what do I do next? The only program I wish to run under Wine is Family Historian - a genealogy application.

I've trawled through the WineHQ FAQs without succes, so look to one of you kind people to set me right.

Tenfoot
OK, now proceed as following:
-First run Wine-Configuration. It s mostly self-explaining.
-
change to the directory (or disk) where you have the Famili Historian installer. You should now see the "setup.exe" file.
Now, enter

wine setup.exe

Wine will now run Setup.exe and install the program.
Often, it creates a link into startmenu. If not, do following:

when it is installed, change into the directory it installed it to (info can be found in wine configuration if you want to search for the root directory of wine)

There, you will have an EXE file... run it by:
wine filename.exe

whereby filename stands for the concrete file name, of course
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine - not the drinking variety!

Post by tenfoot »

dracorX wrote:
tenfoot wrote:I've installed Wine from the distribution disk and ended up with seven files in the Menu structure - Wine configuration, Wine File, Wine Help Browser (which doesn't appear to work), Wine Notepad, Wine RegEdit, Wine Software Uninstaller, and WineMine.

Tenfoot
OK, now proceed as following:
-First run Wine-Configuration. It s mostly self-explaining.
-
change to the directory (or disk) where you have the Famili Historian installer. You should now see the "setup.exe" file.
Now, enter

wine setup.exe

Wine will now run Setup.exe and install the program.
Often, it creates a link into startmenu. If not, do following:

when it is installed, change into the directory it installed it to (info can be found in wine configuration if you want to search for the root directory of wine)

There, you will have an EXE file... run it by:
wine filename.exe

whereby filename stands for the concrete file name, of course
Thank you for instructions. Delighted to say Family Historian v2 now up and running under Wine.

tenfoot
dracorX

up and running

Post by dracorX »

I'm glad I could help
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

Thanks to the OP for posting this thread and for the replier.

I skipped reading the documentation of wine and have been using wine file browser all this time without knowing that there was a wine configurator. (Yeah, I didn't search the menu)

Return to “Beginner Questions”