Best Dock

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JordanV0712

Best Dock

Post by JordanV0712 »

I'm just curious as to what you guys believe is the best dock in Linux Mint and why.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Best Dock

Post by thouartsimple »

cairo-dock -- it has the most features and the most adaptability... and wow, does it look good as a panel.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Temporary Saint »

Cairo dock has the best configurability, but I prefer the functionality of the applets Avant Window Navigator offers. Really, you're splitting hairs between the two. I say install them both and see which is your favorite.

Steve
Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Persnally, I use AWN 4.1 dock for my working apps. I like the stability and look of the dock with the Darklooks Lucido theme included in AWN 4.1 and the capacity for multiple docks if desired.

For my few arcade type games, I use Docky because I change the games in the dock frequently and the drag and drop feature of Docky makes this very easy.
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShyGuy »

I've been looking into docks, I will have to try out this cairo dock.

I've found for my widescreen laptop it makes more sense to have a the menu/dock/bar/whatever on the left side rather than the bottom. The vertical space is more of a premium than the horizontal space.

Does Cairo allow you to change the size of the icons independetly?
svalbard

Post by svalbard »

If it can be called a dock, I like DockbarX because it resides in the panel (hence not taking up any extra screen real estate) and resembles the Windows 7 superbar (which I actually really like).

As far as conventional docks, I recall finding Cairo Dock to be extremely customizable in almost every way I could think of.
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

I'm changing my vote to avant-window-navigator. Cairo-dock is quite annoying because I could never get the settings to be consistent across two computers (I have a laptop and desktop, both running Linux Mint 10 Julia), so OCD dictated that I must change to something else!
-Nick

Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShyGuy »

I tried Cairo Dock, and it was pretty versatile and I liked the GL acceleration. Still, overall I think I prefer the AWM. It seems more polished and consistent. I think I will try this Dockbar X next.
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

ShyGuy wrote:I tried Cairo Dock, and it was pretty versatile and I liked the GL acceleration. Still, overall I think I prefer the AWM. It seems more polished and consistent. I think I will try this Dockbar X next.
Yeah, I don't think Cairo-dock is very polished or easy to use. Mine messed up with docks and everything... and moving docks or anything was just super confusing. AWN has enough features to be really nice, but also not enough to confuse. I like that when it groups windows together it gives a list unlike Docky, which just opens all of them... that was so annoying that I couldn't use the program to replace the window selector applet.
-Nick

NormanF

Post by NormanF »

Docky. It has drag and drop support. You simply locate an application in usr/share/applications and drag and drop it on the dock. If you change your mind, just drag the icon out and poof - its gone. And you can easily rearrange the dock icons to your liking and customize the dock appearance.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

AWN: Not as nice looking, but pretty good. Very functional. In fact it's probably the most functional.

Cairo: The dock that looks the best. Has lots of nice effects. Not quite as functional as AWN though, as far as configurability and existing plugins. It's graphics intensive and the effects aren't always very smooth. My computer is very fast but the effects in Cairo seem to have a somewhat low(but fine) frame rate.

Docky: Not as many functions, but looks very nice and clean. The effects have a very high frame rate. No reason more plugins can't be written for it. For a dock that's closest to the one in Mac OS X, I'd probably go with Docky.

DockbarX: Not a lot of effects, but it has the best window thumbnail support of any dock I know. It emulates the dockbar in Windows 7, so if you're used to Windows 7 you'll probably like DockbarX. I use DockbarX with the existing gnome-panel, but it also works as a plugin for AWN so you can have both the benefits of DockbarX and AWN at the same time.
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

It would be remiss of anyone to ignore advice from "Aging Technogeek", and the fact that I agree with him helps too :-)

I've just tried out every dock i can think of (5 or more) and for what I(me, and me alone) was looking for, AWN was the best. Trunk Version, not Repo version. ()

ScreenShot
http://ubuntuone.com/p/p60/
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

DockBarX is good enough for me, but I'm just in it for the pinning and condensed window-picking. I concede that it doesn't look terribly fancy.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Unity :lol:
mack_guy911

Post by mack_guy911 »

you guys forget about docky :mrgreen:
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

My wife and I differ in opinions as to which dock is better, after all I set her up with Docky and I have Cairo Dock which suits us to our personal preferences (a happy home is a harmonious home) :wink:
Isthmus

Post by Isthmus »

Docky has the best combination ease of use, light on system resources and general good looks. Not nearly as fancy as AWN or Cairo dock, but it works extremely well on systems with light resources. now, if you have the hardware to push them, than AWN and Cairodock are much nicer in terms of animation and general eye candy. Plus they also have more docklets. I find them both to be fairly comparable, but generally prefer Cairo Dock over AWN.
kgarbutt

Post by kgarbutt »

I like PieDock. Check it out.

PieDock
Version 1.2.0
Web http://www.markusfisch.de/

If you don't want to build it. They have pre-compiled binaries to try. It worked in mint 11.

Also, you can change the piedockrc file to fit your needs. It is very customizable.
gordon.cooke

Post by gordon.cooke »

My personal favorite, and setup, is Docky. I leave the gnome panel alone (as configured by mint) on the bottom and then have Docky along the top with just a couple things I use alot: firefox, terminal, gedit, MATLAB (Im an engineer), LibreOffice Writer, and a cpu monitor. I have a bunch more things on my Favorites in MintMenu, but those 5 are my go-to programs. I have Docky set to autohide and just show up when I mouse up near the top of the screen.

Only problem is I use it so much that whenever Im on another computer Im constantly going to top of the screen instead of the start menu (LOL)

I'll admit my pick is mostly aesthetic and personal preference - I tried a few others and just like Docky's look, feel, and how it works best. All user perspective, not looking at deep technical details.
Pikachu6708

Post by Pikachu6708 »

What about Wbar or Tablaunch?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”