When to Reboot?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tjweaver

When to Reboot?

Post by tjweaver »

Is there a general rule about rebooting after taking updates? I'm running LMDE as a home media and backup server and its kind of fun to see how high I can get my uptime. But I don't want to miss applying any important updates that have been installed.

thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: When to Reboot?

Post by JasonLG »

tjweaver wrote:Is there a general rule about rebooting after taking updates? I'm running LMDE as a home media and backup server and its kind of fun to see how high I can get my uptime. But I don't want to miss applying any important updates that have been installed.

thx
Most everything should update in place. You will have to restart whatever program/service that is updated (if it doesn't do it automatically during the update) for the update to take effect. And of course unless you use ksplice or something similar a kernel update always requires a restart.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yup, me too. I reboot if any hardware drivers, firmware, or kernel stuff has been changed . . . well, except when it is my yearly dust bunny safari . . :lol:
tjweaver

Post by tjweaver »

Thanks for the replies. Are most updated services/programs restarted after an update by the system?
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

You pretty much only need to reboot for kernel and gfx driver upgrades. Anything else that starts with your desktop can be either upgraded on the fly, or will simply need a logout/login to activate the upgrade.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

tjweaver wrote:Thanks for the replies. Are most updated services/programs restarted after an update by the system?
Yes.

Return to “LMDE Archive”