ConkyWizard

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

ConkyWizard

Post by donec »

I have been experimenting with ConkyWizard and can't figure a method of removing the Ubuntu branding. Does anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
vincent

Re: ConkyWizard

Post by vincent »

Post the contents of your .conkyrc and we'll try to weed it out for you.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

vincent wrote:Post the contents of your .conkyrc and we'll try to weed it out for you.
Thanks for your reply. I searched and could not find .conkyrc. However I found a folder named .ConkyWizardTheme and inside there are 2 folders and 2 documents. The folders are pix and scripts. The documents are ConkyWizardTheme which is a plain text file and default.ConkyWizard which is a document but when I try and open it I get
gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.
When I open ConkyWizardTheme this is what is shows...
# Generated with Conky Wizard
# Copyright (C) 2010 José David Abad García
# GPL Version 3
#
# WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost if the program runs again!

# Default Fonts
use_xft yes
xftfont WenQuanYi Micro Hei:bold:size=13
override_utf8_locale yes

# Performance Settings
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0
double_buffer yes
no_buffers yes
net_avg_samples 2
text_buffer_size 1024

# Window Settings
own_window yes
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type override
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

# Window border
draw_borders no
draw_shades no

# Default Color
default_color E0DFDE

# Color Title.
color0 DD3A21

# Size and position
minimum_size 275 580
gap_x 0
gap_y 90
alignment top_right

TEXT
${image ~/.ConkyWizardTheme/pix/background.png -p 0,0 -s 275x580}

${GOTO 36}${font WenQuanYi Micro Hei:bold:size=12}${color0}Time and date${font}${color}
${GOTO 36}${time %A}, ${time %d} ${time %B} ${time %Y}
${GOTO 36}${time %H:%M} ${time %d/%m/%Y}

${GOTO 36}${font WenQuanYi Micro Hei:bold:size=12}${color0}SYS usage${font}${color}
${GOTO 36}CPU:${GOTO 120}${cpubar cpu1 10,75} ${cpu cpu1} %
${GOTO 36}RAM:${GOTO 120}${membar 10,75} ${memperc} %
${GOTO 36}SWAP:${GOTO 120}${swapbar 10,75}
${GOTO 36}Uptime:${GOTO 120}${uptime}

${GOTO 36}${font WenQuanYi Micro Hei:bold:size=12}${color0}Disks${font}${color}
${GOTO 36}System (/):${GOTO 146}${fs_used /}
${GOTO 36}${GOTO 60}${fs_bar 10,100 /}
${GOTO 36}Home (/home):${GOTO 168}${fs_used /home}
${GOTO 36}${GOTO 60}${fs_bar 10,100 /home}

${GOTO 36}Kernel:${GOTO 120}${kernel}
Inside of the scripts folder there is 1 script named ip.sh and it contains....
#!/bin/bash
wget http://checkip.dyndns.org/ -q -O - |
grep -Eo '\<[[:digit:]]{1,3}(\.[[:digit:]]{1,3}){3}\>'
The pix folder contains the png file background.png and it is the background of the conky display with the branding for Ubuntu. I tried to edit it in GIMP but every time I run the Conky Wizard it overwrites the png file with one with Ubuntu branding.

I hope this makes sense to you.
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

forgot where i get it but here is the conkywizard for mint that i download for my friend who want it. it is mint branded.
http://www.4shared.com/file/iZOeONYX/co ... r37_a.html
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Thanks Feed3. I wish I knew how they made it different. The odd thing is that the way I had it setup with the Ubuntu banding is the way the Linux Mint for Debian looks but with Linux Mint banding. I wonder where the actual file for setting up the displayed items is. They must use the same files.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

That is the branding that you looking for. Try find the background.png from pix folder inside .ConkyWizardTheme folder. It is located in your home folder, and it is hidden folder.

You can change it to whatever you like and prefer. Say you made one new background and you put it in folder named conky in your home and you named it as mintbrand.png, so the above part should be
${image ~/folder-where-you-put-it/image-file-you-created.png -p 0,0 -s 275x580}
275x580 is the size of your image file.

for example;
${image ~/conky/back1.png -p 0,0 -s 275x580}
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

feed3 wrote:
That is the branding that you looking for. Try find the background.png from pix folder inside .ConkyWizardTheme folder. It is located in your home folder, and it is hidden folder.

You can change it to whatever you like and prefer. Say you made one new background and you put it in folder named conky in your home and you named it as mintbrand.png, so the above part should be
${image ~/folder-where-you-put-it/image-file-you-created.png -p 0,0 -s 275x580}
275x580 is the size of your image file.

for example;
${image ~/conky/back1.png -p 0,0 -s 275x580}
Why can't I just change the background.png image so that it has it background I want? I tried to do that but every time my changes got over written leaving me with the Ubuntu branding.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

feed3 wrote:forgot where i get it but here is the conkywizard for mint that i download for my friend who want it. it is mint branded.
http://www.4shared.com/file/iZOeONYX/co ... r37_a.html
I have found that using that conky wizard that sometimes when I boot then the conky wizard image has a shadow around it and every window shows up behind it. The only thing that has worked to fix it (and it does not always work) is to reboot. When I kill the process it is hard to get it to start again. Any ideas?
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

donec wrote: I have found that using that conky wizard that sometimes when I boot then the conky wizard image has a shadow around it and every window shows up behind it. The only thing that has worked to fix it (and it does not always work) is to reboot. When I kill the process it is hard to get it to start again. Any ideas?
Do you use/enable compiz?

You should read what the wizard say when you run it up ultil before you press that "finish" button, then you will know where it put all the files for you to play around etc. At the last page of the wizard, at the top, it should give you an option to choose the startup delay. by default, it is 8sec, which is not enough for my machine with compiz running (i need to put my conky to be delayed 20sec or so or else, it will be the same as your problems, and usually i create my own conky script, my own conky startup script.)
1.jpg
From the image above;

1 - Change to something bigger than 10, i prefer 15-20sec
2 - places where the files generated by the wizard
3 - if you do some editing to the conky script, next time you run the wizard, it will overwrite your changes UNLESS you rename the folder to other than .ConkyWizardTheme
4 - just to remind you to add conky startup script to the startup program

If you want to customize it;

1. open your home folder, then press ctrl+h to see the hidden files and folders
2. rename .ConkyWizardLaunch to other name that you prefer such as .conkystart or just conkystart (the different is, without the dot ( . ) that file wont be hidden and easy for you to search.
3. rename folder .ConkyWizardTheme to other name, and again, to unhide it, just remove dot
4. open the file from step 2 (.ConkyWizardLaunch if you not rename it). double click on the file and choose display. it will opened in gedit something like this;

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sleep 8 && conky -c ~/.ConkyWizardTheme/ConkyWizardTheme
change it to meet your changes

#!/bin/bash
sleep 20 && conky -c ~/renamed-folder-name-in-step3/ConkyWizardTheme
5. save it and close it.
6. add the startup script to autostart list
- to make it more easier, open control center, click startup applications
- you will see one entry named conkywizard, double click on it
2.jpg
1. change the name - you can leave it as it is
2. point it to the renamed startup script (step 2 above) press browse, choose the script that we renamed in step 2 above.
3. comment for that entry, you can leave it if you want.
4. press save.
5. press close.

now, we made your conky to autostart and running the wizard again wont override it. however, please remember that whenever you run the wizard again, it will create an autostart for it and you will end up with another extra conky instances running at startup. you need to open the startup applications and remove/disable whichever you want to.

go to your home folder, inside .ConkyWizardTheme or whatever name you changed it to, there's a file named ConkyWizardTheme, that is your conky config file and you can edit/play around with it. if you rename it, you need to change inside your startup script to meet your changes.

let say, you change it to myconkrc, then your startup script from;

#!/bin/bash
sleep 20 && conky -c ~/renamed-folder-name-in-step3/ConkyWizardTheme
should be changed to

#!/bin/bash
sleep 20 && conky -c ~/renamed-folder-name-in-step3/myconkrc
there's a lot more to explore and for me, it made me addicted especially when you see how far,complicated,beautifull it can be. you can always ask the conky config file from the others and change it to the way you want, experiment with it or take some code that you want to put into your conky.

just to show you what you can do with conky, my current config;
3.jpg
there's also a thread where you can see the screenshots of the members screenshots, most of them use conky and there's also a thread specially for conky.

happy conkying. :)
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Thanks Feed3, I had read most of that information but I had missed the delay box.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

donec wrote:Thanks Feed3, I had read most of that information but I had missed the delay box.
Does increasing the delay solved the "always-on-top" conky problem? Just asking because i always use conky with compiz. If it doesn't, that's a new thing to me, would like to try replicate the problem so that i know how to solve it in the future if the same problem happen to me as well. :)
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

feed3 wrote:
donec wrote:Thanks Feed3, I had read most of that information but I had missed the delay box.
Does increasing the delay solved the "always-on-top" conky problem? Just asking because i always use conky with compiz. If it doesn't, that's a new thing to me, would like to try replicate the problem so that i know how to solve it in the future if the same problem happen to me as well. :)
Well changing it to 20 didn't fix it but I found that if I rerun the wizard then it works right but I need to do that each time I boot so it is a work in progress. Oh and yes I do use compiz.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”