NBR?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rosehipzero

NBR?

Post by rosehipzero »

Are there any plans of a Netbook Remix of Mint? I have a Netbook and i love the little machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
8andsand

Re: NBR?

Post by 8andsand »

rosehipzero wrote:Are there any plans of a Netbook Remix of Mint? I have a Netbook and i love the little machine.
There is a topic talking about a NBR http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=21530
There is alot of people that think there should be.

If you dont want to wait you can do like I did and make your own.

1. Get Linux Mint 8 installed on your netbook.
2. Install all patches.
3. In the Package Manager, install "maximus" the "window-picker-applet" and "netbook-launcher"
4. Move the main panel to the top of the screen.
5. Remove the default task manager, and add the Windows Picker applet to the main bar.
6. Under "Start Up Programs", make sure that Maximus and netbook-launcher will run on start up.
7. Reboot your netbook

Here is a screen shot of my homemade Mint 8 NBR. I love it on my netbook.
rosehipzero

Post by rosehipzero »

Awesome man, this works too. thanks a lot
bbmidi

Post by bbmidi »

I have a Toshiba netbook and is interested in this setup. What Linux Mint flavor should be used for this, Gnome or Fluxbox? Considering the hardware involved, it would be great to use the latter. Though a 1 GB memory should be enough for Gnome to handle.
bbmidi

Post by bbmidi »

Is there a setting somewhere in maximus/netbook-launcher to hide other category like system tools, settings, etc? My kids will be using the netbook eventually and i dont want them to mess around with menus they dont know about.

How about themes specially for netbook, what do you guys use? The resolution is okey but if can be tweaked further by themes much better. I attached a snapshot fwiw.
8andsand

Post by 8andsand »

bbmidi wrote:I have a Toshiba netbook and is interested in this setup. What Linux Mint flavor should be used for this, Gnome or Fluxbox? Considering the hardware involved, it would be great to use the latter. Though a 1 GB memory should be enough for Gnome to handle.
Im using Gnome I don't know if it would work with Fluxbox or not.
8andsand

Post by 8andsand »

bbmidi wrote:Is there a setting somewhere in maximus/netbook-launcher to hide other category like system tools, settings, etc? My kids will be using the netbook eventually and i dont want them to mess around with menus they dont know about.

How about themes specially for netbook, what do you guys use? The resolution is okey but if can be tweaked further by themes much better. I attached a snapshot fwiw.
Yeah go to "main menu" in preferences and uncheck the things you don't want to show up and they will also be removed from the netbook launcher
8andsand

Post by 8andsand »

As far as special themes for netbooks I haven't seen any. I just use themes from gnome look.
bbmidi

Post by bbmidi »

Hey 8andsand thanks a lot for the replies. It's definitely helpful.

As for the themes I'll find something. Surely there is one or two geared towards netbook.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I appreciate this how-to, but as a user of both Mint 8 and Ubuntu Karmic UNR, I have this observation to make:
It is MUCH easier to "Mint up" the Karmic UNR than it is to "UNR" an install of Mint 8.

Used to be that the biggie that Mint brought to the Ubuntu dinner table was a distro that includes, by default, all of the restricted packages that people had to hunt for and install manually. Then two things happened: 1) lots of people in Ubuntu-land made it much much easier to get all of that restricted love into Ubuntu with a couple of clicks or a script, and 2) Mint tools.

So that gives us two reasons to use Mint today, aside from "I like green". Green themes can be slapped on any distro. The real reasons, as I see it, are the "fit and polish" of a distro with all the right packages installed by default, and the Mint tools.

So... if you want the "right stuff" in a UNR, I suggest that the straightforward way it to install Karmic UNR, and then apt-get what you need. Boom!
On the other hand, if what you really want is the Mint tools and the "fit and polish", then you might want to UNR a Helena install.

Or, maybe you just want to say "this is Mint, done MY way" instead of saying "this is Karmic UNR".

Brand loyalty... I don't understand it well enough.
dnmint

Re: NBR? Earlier post New difficulties

Post by dnmint »

8andsand wrote:
rosehipzero wrote:Are there any plans of a Netbook Remix of Mint? I have a Netbook and i love the little machine.
There is a topic talking about a NBR http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=21530
There is a lot of people that think there should be.

If you don't want to wait you can do like I did and make your own.

1. Get Linux Mint 8 installed on your netbook.
2. Install all patches.
3. In the Package Manager, install "maximus" the "window-picker-applet" and "netbook-launcher"
4. Move the main panel to the top of the screen.
5. Remove the default task manager, and add the Windows Picker applet to the main bar.
6. Under "Start Up Programs", make sure that Maximus and netbook-launcher will run on start up.
7. Reboot your netbook

Here is a screen shot of my homemade Mint 8 NBR. I love it on my netbook.
I followed your instructions ( to the best of my understanding) on my Toshiba NB205 2GB RAM.
I need some more help
12 3 done
4 moved but could not move the Network icon & mint update icon. tell me how to
5 How to remove Task manager. Added windows Picker aplet
6.done
7 done
I get the screen as you showed but the top bar goes into hiding. Also my Desktop theme goes into hiding
Please advise what else I should do?
Thanks in advance
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

Remove the default task manager, and add the Windows Picker applet to the main bar.
How to do this ?
Troken

Post by Troken »

Does anyone know if the netbook remix works with newer versions of Mint. These instructions are for LM8, how about the latest version or LMDE?

Return to “Beginner Questions”