Fonts in Firefox

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pbelfi
Level 1
Level 1

Fonts in Firefox

Post by pbelfi »

Hey All, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get the web page fonts in Firefox to look like the fonts when I run Firefox in Windows. I'm using Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna BETA 021, with a screen resolution of 1280x1024, and a 19" LCD, and the fonts in Firefox kind of look crappy! The fonts on the desktop and within Linux Mint look acceptable, it's just Firefox that has a problem.......Fonts look good in Opera, but I prefer using Firefox if I could......thanks in advance for any input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

You might need to enable clear looks in windows XP, off by default. It helps smooth fonts and is especially good for LCDs
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
pbelfi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbelfi »

carlos wrote:You might need to enable clear looks in windows XP, off by default. It helps smooth fonts and is especially good for LCDs
Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself right in this post...but the fonts look great in Windows XP, it was Firefox in Mint Linux where I am having the problems.......I'd like to have them look like they do when I use Firefox in Windows XP....thanks
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Ahhh well do a forum search for installing microsoft fonts. That should solve your problem.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
pbelfi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbelfi »

carlos wrote:Ahhh well do a forum search for installing microsoft fonts. That should solve your problem.
Thanks for the help Carlos, I did install the MS fonts, and while they are a little better, they're still not that great. Maybe because they are not using clear type.......thanks again for the help.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

You need to enable "sub-pixel antialiasing".
If you are using GNOME, you can find the preference in your “Systemâ€￾ menu under Preferences --> Fonts.(Not in Gnome so I may be incorrect where it is)
Also did you run

Code: Select all

sudo fc-cache -fv
after msttcorefonts was installed.
pbelfi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pbelfi »

Return to “Other topics”