Two problems - HP CQ62, Mint Update,Audio [FIXED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tsimon1988

Two problems - HP CQ62, Mint Update,Audio [FIXED]

Post by tsimon1988 »

I have a HP CQ62 laptop, it's some what a common problem to fix the Audio for (easy to do with ubuntu but I appear to be having no luck with the Debian Edition of Mint).

My system is unable to update I get the error "Could not apply changes! Fix broken packages first". Now I went to "synaptic Manager>edit>fix broken packages" this does not seem to do the trick :? I have an inkling feeling that this is the cause of my problems since I can't get the required goodies to make the fixes.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help, in the mean time I'll keep thinking/ looking.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Two problems

Post by richyrich »

Try these two terminal commands, when done, logout and back in, then try updating . . let us know if this helps you in any way.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mintupdate
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Also if you reboot or startup your comp in safe mode one of the items in the list is "try to repair broken packages". Could give that one a shot too I guess. Though RR ... knows much, many, mas more about linux than I do.
tsimon1988

Post by tsimon1988 »

Well that made things worse, had to do manually fix it via fsck well that didn't work sadly. Did a reinstall of mint and now just fails to boot mint.

Will try reburning the iso considering it might have an error :shock:
---------------------------------------------------

update:
Okay I managed to fix the install which is good, will try what you said again ricky.

update:
Makes no difference :(

update:
Odd removed Level 3 updates and it now works, one of the packages must be buggy. is it normal for Mint to prevent any of the updates from installing if one is faulty? first I've seen Mint do anything like this and I've been using for a long time.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Same problem with a fresh install on two desktops, one ATI graphics the other nvidia.
I fixed it by going to Synaptic, selecting Status in the left hand panel and clicking reload

I then selected "Installed(upgradable)" on the left and selected the top 20 upgrades and installed them.
I repeated this action selecting a greater number until I got to the "X" bits where I did the usual
Cnrl+Alt+F1
logon as root plus password
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -q
/etc/init.d/gdm3 reboot

All installed so i'm a happy camper :D
tsimon1988

Post by tsimon1988 »

ukbrian wrote:Same problem with a fresh install on two desktops, one ATI graphics the other nvidia.
I fixed it by going to Synaptic, selecting Status in the left hand panel and clicking reload

I then selected "Installed(upgradable)" on the left and selected the top 20 upgrades and installed them.
I repeated this action selecting a greater number until I got to the "X" bits where I did the usual
Cnrl+Alt+F1
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -q
/etc/init.d/gdm3 reboot

All installed so i'm a happy camper :D
Cool, noted. I had a issue with my Linux-swap but sorted that out and is running happily now, still got the issue with updating :? so will do what you have suggested tonight and hopefully all goes in my favour.
tsimon1988

Post by tsimon1988 »

@ukbrian just letting you know that everything worked perfectly :D cheers for the help mate.

Would you recommend updating mintupdate? keep on hearing the Mintupdate is some what useless for LMDE or is this not true.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

tsimon1988 wrote:Would you recommend updating mintupdate? keep on hearing the Mintupdate is some what useless for LMDE or is this not true.
Glad it worked for you :D
I would encourage you to continue using Mint Update as it does the job most times and the feedback of any problems is invaluable for Clem(I think)
Mint Update is being changed from Mint Update to LMDE update so it encounters a few problems but I think it's almost there, I think Clem is very active on it and deserves a big pat on the back for all he's accomplished.

I think the "broken Packages" thing only happens now if you do a fresh install.
I'm not a very knowledgeable guy as I'm unable to comprehend manuals but I think if you go into "Menu>System>Administration>Update Manager" and then "Edit>Preferences" and set them like this.
Image The Level 4-5 updates will show in MintUpdate but will not be marked for installing. I think it's better to install Level 4-5 updates by

Cnrl+Alt+F1
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -q
/etc/init.d/gdm3 reboot
If it pauses and seems to be wanting input from you just press "Q" and it will continue

If I'm wrong in any way will someone correct me please. :D
tsimon1988

Re: Two problems - HP CQ62, Mint Update,Audio

Post by tsimon1988 »

Cheers for that, yeh I've noticed that only the fresh install of LMDE has this issue so would be nice to see the changes. Recantly moved from the default Mint edition since Debian always runs better :lol: so far I'm liking it a lot more.
meddyuk

Post by meddyuk »

Hiya Guys,

I'm a newbie to Linux Mint, however i've been running Ubuntu 10.10 for some time now on my desktop. I must say im well impressed with mint! I installed it on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2030 with only one hiccup and that was the screen resolution, but i got that sorted and im well on my way!

I've had a little play so far and im happy with what Mint LMDE has to offer, but i too suffer from the "Could not apply changes! Fix broken packages first" problem.

I did sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and it seeme to run a script and download lots of stuff. At the end of that though it did say that some packages could not be installed.

i've tried to run synaptic Manager>edit>fix broken packages however that still doesnt sort my problem.

Is it essential that i go through the graphical update manager to install updates or am i aswell going to sudo apt-get update to install them?

It looks like this is an ongoing problem for many users (google search) so i'll keep my eyes peeled for a fix.
tsimon1988

Post by tsimon1988 »

meddyuk wrote: I did sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and it seeme to run a script and download lots of stuff. At the end of that though it did say that some packages could not be installed.

i've tried to run synaptic Manager>edit>fix broken packages however that still doesnt sort my problem.

Is it essential that i go through the graphical update manager to install updates or am i aswell going to sudo apt-get update to install them?

It looks like this is an ongoing problem for many users (google search) so i'll keep my eyes peeled for a fix.
For your solution this is what worked for me thanks to ukbrian

Same problem with a fresh install on two desktops, one ATI graphics the other nvidia.

Cnrl+Alt+F1
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -q
/etc/init.d/gdm3 reboot
I also noticed that by creating a Linux-swap partition LMDE runs nicer.
tsimon1988

Post by tsimon1988 »

Also as a note to anyone that sees this the problem with the audio for the HP Presario CQ62 is the kernel, you would need the I think change to the last kernel release it does correct the issue.
Last edited by tsimon1988 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meddyuk

Post by meddyuk »

All sorted it worked! However, its updated my video driver and now it freezes on boot up and in terminal. Arggghhhhh! I've opened another post so as not to hijack this one. Thanks for your help.
tsimon1988

Post by tsimon1988 »

meddyuk wrote:All sorted it worked! However, its updated my video driver and now it freezes on boot up and in terminal. Arggghhhhh! I've opened another post so as not to hijack this one. Thanks for your help.
The Mint team have down-graded the kernel by the looks of things in a recent update, it has slowed down LMDE a little but not enough for me to complain about just to mope over :lol:

Very happy with, I did notice some more new updates so lets see how many bugs get fixed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”