gnome 3 upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
autocrosser

Re: gnome 3 upgrade

Post by autocrosser »

Did you do a "Affects me to" on the bug report?
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

autocrosser wrote:Did you do a "Affects me to" on the bug report?
Done. I should have checked it twice as I have 2 computers affected.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Perfect---We need to get as many as possible on this one---If Clem is going with Gnome3 for Mint 11---that will be a problem.
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

I've been waiting to see if some of the python updates would come through and fix it or possibly some other update, but so far no dice. Currently I have about 11 packages being held back when I do sudo apt-get upgrade (with unstable and exper. repos activated and a list of gnome 3 files pinned in a pref file). There are 3 python related packages and 4 gstreamer pkgs. a pulse audio and 3 perl packages. This time around I have been able to keep Gnome 3 and Gnome-shell working for about a week, but I've been a little more careful with my updating. No more blindly running a dist-upgrade when I forgot to disable exper. first, lol.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Yes--I understand---I keep a Sid-only & a "Hang-it-all-out" Experimental install---The Python & Gstreamer stuff just went thru Experimental today without a problem, but I'm not going to allow them in my Sid until they "really" show up there.....I'm not running anything but regular Gnome2 in Sid, so it's my "stable" install :lol: (I do keep a backup Testing install sync'd in case of major blowups--and a Mint10 that I sync every couple of weeks or so--nice to have the fallbacks just in case)
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

I'm basically just running a Mint Debian install, upgraded at the time in testing, then upgraded to unstable, and then grabbed the Gnome 3 / Gnome-shell parts out of experimental. It's been a learning process to be sure. I'm not at the point yet where I'm relying fully on the Linux install and may not be for awhile, considering the money laid out for Windows 7 and Vista before that, etc, etc, etc. I'm mostly experimenting and learning since my job involves using Unix. But I am finding myself spending less and less time in Windows and more and more time in Mint Debian. This has been one of the most stable Linux distros I've used, barring my own experimentation. In the past, I've tried a few distros that would be broken the first time you took the huge mountain of recommended updates offered after install. An operating system, used as designed, should be able to apply it's own recommended updates without breaking, even Windows can do that. I was using PCLinuxOS-Gnome version and it was one of them that sometimes didn't take kindly to updates. Just before trying Linux Mint 10, I had installed Sabayon, because it looked nice, but it was completely unusable after the first updates were applied. One shouldn't have to search for and read some big manual just to apply software updates.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Glad to see you've joined the "Linux Revolution" :D I was involved with Ubuntu-Testing for 5+ years--hence the multi-boot install....When you hang on the edge, it's nice to have one or two backup options....

I was involved with UNIX 25-some years ago & then went to Mac OS (did beta-work for OSX). I've come back to my roots with Linux--I HATED the way OSX made CLI "almost" un-usable...CLI is your friend :D It would be nice if that bit of knowledge was requisite for Linux users.....will never come to pass, but one can hope that more people would learn it......
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

That is one thing I miss in the Gnome-shell is the ability to right click the desktop and bring up a terminal whenever you wanted one. That is mostly the reason for adapting to the AWN dock is because I can have a terminal a click away. Admittedly, most of my experience is in the Windows area, a little DOS, all the way back to Windows for Workgroups 3.11. It wasn't long after that, that I tried my first Redhat dual-boot install. Linux is coming along pretty well now, at least in some cases. I'd usually rather be mucking around in troubleshooting some technical thing than playing games most of the time anyway. It is sad that there are some that don't seem to be willing to give Gnome-shell a chance. If they allowed themselves to get used to it they would probably find they like it pretty well.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Agreed---I created a shortcut almost first thing..can't live without a term close at hand. Nautilus-Open-Terminal is far too handy........I'm hoping that someone codes the equivalent for Shell soon....Of course you can <ALT><F2><gnome-terminal> and start terminal that way--but its a bit too unwieldy.

As far as Gnome3....There will always be resistance to something new...people unwilling to break old habits...Give it a couple of years & most of the fuss will be over. I'm heartened by some of the posts here: http://gnome-look.org/groups/?id=520&PH ... 74d948e95c Not a big sample, but there is some hope......
Last edited by autocrosser on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadoglare

Post by Shadoglare »

I'd probably have to recommend to anyone curious about Gnome 3 to try one of the Live CDs available from the web site before deciding to try and update your system.

I did, and I can honestly say it took me all of about 10 minutes to decide I hated it, and I'm *really* glad I didn't put a ton of effort into installing it only to end up deciding I wanted to take it right back off again.

I've been a fan of Gnome over the other desktop systems for many, many years, but v3 seems to put all of the effort into "shiny" and it loses a LOT in actual usability.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

Shadoglare wrote:I'd probably have to recommend to anyone curious about Gnome 3 to try one of the Live CDs available from the web site before deciding to try and update your system.
I did, and I can honestly say it took me all of about 10 minutes to decide I hated it, and I'm *really* glad I didn't put a ton of effort into installing it only to end up deciding I wanted to take it right back off again.
I've been a fan of Gnome over the other desktop systems for many, many years, but v3 seems to put all of the effort into "shiny" and it loses a LOT in actual usability.
+1.. I don't like it as it seems to be more hard to customize it, same goes to unity though only had a chances to try unity2d. I don't like it both, not because it will break the old habits, it is just not comfortable to use and to customize (especially to customize it actually).

Can't see the easy way to change panel color/background for both of it,
can't see the MAJOR and BIG different on both of it compared to what i can achive using compiz+awn/docky/cairo in gnome 2.
Can't see why right-clicking on the desktop need to be taken away from user.
That's only some of the things. I think Gnome3 is as messy as or even more messy than early days of KDE4, at least in the early days of kde4, i still can change the themes and a lot more, some of major features and usability is still there, it is just had so many bugs, thats it.
But this gnome3+shell, it is just too hard to see why i should like it at this level. Maybe after some times, after all has been refine, i might able to find my way to like it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”