install ia32-libs by default on 64-bit mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
zangib

install ia32-libs by default on 64-bit mint

Post by zangib »

The package ia32-libs adds to the system the ability of running 32 bits apps in a 64 bits system. Without that package, when you run a 32 bit executable, you get the message "no such file or directory"

I think it would be great installing this package by default.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: install ia32-libs by default on 64-bit mint

Post by tdockery97 »

I would have to agree. When you are using Mint 64 bit those libs are necessary for many things to run, including Google Earth.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Wine needs them too for running programs compiled for Windows 32-bit. And Wine is always one of the first things that I install after a Linux install.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
konjad

Post by konjad »

I agree with this. While CD version doesn't really need it you certainly ought to put it in 64 bit DVD version, nearly everyone have to download it anyway and it's an issue when reinstalling the system while using slow internet connection (or none at all). Please add it in Mint 11, it's not like you're running out of space in DVD edition since Mint 10 is only 825 MB while DVD has 4.4 GB.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

A normal single-layer DVD has even 4.7 GB. We can use this space for many useful things: Gnome Games, Wine, Playonlinux, ia32-libs of course (but that will already get pulled as a dependency).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
konjad

Post by konjad »

I kinda disagree with putting Wine and Playonlinux to the distro. I mean it's rather useless for most of the people and only some would use it. ia32libs however are used by nearly everyone if not everyone.

Well, except if WineHQ and Playonlinux were optional and you could check/uncheck them during installation, then it wouldn't bother me. They just shouldn't be put in the installation process by default.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”