Can a newer mintwifi include rt2870sta driver?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t3g

Can a newer mintwifi include rt2870sta driver?

Post by t3g »

As in this post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=70529, the newer 2.6.38 kernel introduced in Debian Testing merged the drivers for the Ralink wireless cards and therefore devices like the RT2870 has decreased performance and signal problems.

One of the solutions is to manually compile the rt2870sta driver, but do you think that the Mint team could possibly include the driver as part of an updated mintwifi package? Would be great for a lot of people installing Mint from scratch and not have issues. I don't know how the kernel in Mint 11, based off of Ubuntu 11.04 handles this driver, but in Mint Debian it is an issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can a newer mintwifi include rt2870sta driver?

Post by AlbertP »

Ubuntu bases it's Natty kernel upon the 2.6.38 so Mint 11 will also include the driver. And it is not Debian who has merged the driver, but Linus and his kernel team. And Mintwifi is only a tool to keep track of wireless problems and not the driver itself.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Software & Applications”