Linux Mint Xfce (201104) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Beardedragon

Re: Linux Mint Xfce (201104) released!

Post by Beardedragon »

blue_sky wrote:Quick question. I installed it and it's running great, but the installer was a bit different and I did not partition a swap file (I didn't know how), is that a problem? The entire HD was dedicated to the image. (Thanks, I'm still a noob)
Basically it depends upon how much RAM you have. A swap file can compensate for a lack of RAM on older machines.
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

^^Thanks, I have 2Gb and really never run anything too memory intensive, in fact I have never seen any of the swap file being used in the system monitor from Mint 8 on up. I just wanted to make sure it was not a fatal error not to have a swap file. Everything seems to be running great,
wangsuda

Post by wangsuda »

blue_sky wrote:Quick question. I installed it and it's running great, but the installer was a bit different and I did not partition a swap file (I didn't know how), is that a problem? The entire HD was dedicated to the image. (Thanks, I'm still a noob)
I made a swap file, following these instructions: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110117#qa
Thank you proxima_centauri! (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... le#p395098)
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

^^Thanks! Looks like my 2Gb of RAM will suffice, now that I know my desktop won't blow up without a swap file. Thanks for the tutorial, bookmarked for future reference.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You only need swap for hibernating, but you can always run GParted from the live CD/DVD/USB and make a swap partition, if you want to hibernate (it needs to be a little bigger than your RAM).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

i'm testing now
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

My experience installing XFCE Debian has been good... both times. Borked the system the first time.

Installed Compiz & Emerald. I notice that I can no longer add or remove Workspaces (having handed control to Copmiz)? Am limited to two. A bug?

Other than that, if Gnome 3 & Unity continue with their (in my opinion) over reliance on ICONs (I prefer text menus) and lack of customization, then this Debian XFCE edition might be just the refuge I'm looking for.
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

having all kinds of problems connecting to the internet ... says cable not connected,,,, shows no dsl connection.. etc done everything i can think off. runninng on empty same siemens dsl modem and cable run just fine on my mint 9 desktop edition on my laptop any ideas???? please
viva el minto REVOLUTION!!!!!
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

georgegerm wrote:having all kinds of problems connecting to the internet ... says cable not connected,,,, shows no dsl connection.. etc done everything i can think off. runninng on empty same siemens dsl modem and cable run just fine on my mint 9 desktop edition on my laptop any ideas???? please
First lesson taught in computer school. Pull each cable, look at connectors and connections for broken parts and plug them back in. Check phone line to make sure it is connected and you get a dial tone from the other half. Check power chords and switches. It could be the power supply has gone bad, are the lights on? Reset the Modem. Then check your computer once again. You'd be surprised how one little thing can mess up the works. Do you have a cat or a dog that might chew the chords? Good luck.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

//having all kinds of problems connecting to the internet ... says cable not connected...//

I'm not hack-capable, but my suggestion would be to disable or better, uninstall, the current network manager and try installing "wicd" or "knetwork". If these work, then at least you will be connected and you can sort out why Network Manager isn't working? (My understanding is that KDE apps should work in XFCE.) Give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always uninstall.
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

Beardedragon wrote:
georgegerm wrote:having all kinds of problems connecting to the internet ... says cable not connected,,,, shows no dsl connection.. etc done everything i can think off. runninng on empty same siemens dsl modem and cable run just fine on my mint 9 desktop edition on my laptop any ideas???? please
First lesson taught in computer school. Pull each cable, look at connectors and connections for broken parts and plug them back in. Check phone line to make sure it is connected and you get a dial tone from the other half. Check power chords and switches. It could be the power supply has gone bad, are the lights on? Reset the Modem. Then check your computer once again. You'd be surprised how one little thing can mess up the works. Do you have a cat or a dog that might chew the chords? Good luck.
1st 1st lesson read my post i stated the same cable and modem work on my linux mint 9 laptop, and my dual boot pc with mint 9 desktop and windblows 7 ultimate (games). turned it off and on. it has no reset it is a simple siemens dsl modem. but do thank you and i was not being fresh.
Last edited by georgegerm on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

VtPoet wrote://having all kinds of problems connecting to the internet ... says cable not connected...//

I'm not hack-capable, but my suggestion would be to disable or better, uninstall, the current network manager and try installing "wicd" or "knetwork". If these work, then at least you will be connected and you can sort out why Network Manager isn't working? (My understanding is that KDE apps should work in XFCE.) Give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always uninstall.
i had on linux mint kde 10 pryor to xfce and same problem was there. funny when i get back to my laptop (linux mint 9) or my linux mint 9 windblows- dual boot- (yes for gaming). there are no problems at all. so i would not use the kde net app. it was a no go before. read the blogs on opensuse kde 11.4 they messed up the repos and dsl cannot be used out of the box. one has to erase some data and replace with some from osus 11.3. so it is more of a problem that a solution. now what i really dislike is one needs 2 computers to go thru this repair it appears. so far i have not heard from someone running xfce 10 mint on a dsl modem. that has got it to work ..you out there. i thank you much by the way.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

I'm connected to my DSL modem wirelessly (XFCE Debian) - of no help to you. You've probably considered firewall issues? - either in the OS or in the modem? And DHCP settings? Though I can't fathom how that would change between OS's.
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

VtPoet wrote:I'm connected to my DSL modem wirelessly (XFCE Debian) - of no help to you. You've probably considered firewall issues? - either in the OS or in the modem? And DHCP settings? Though I can't fathom how that would change between OS's.
you are right wireless is of no help. firewall is off. the modem is not a router so it has no firewall built in. dhcp settings why in the world would they be different out of the box ... oh my friend i have tried!!!! i will give it up i think yet i like it sooooo much maybe go to xfce 9 if thereis one. thanks.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

Sorry if this question has already been asked: But why XFCE 2.6 rather than 2.8?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Because Debian have included that version in their testing repository. Xfce 4.8 is in Sid at the moment, you need some patience before Debian Testing will get this version.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

Because Debian have included that version in their testing repository. Xfce 4.8 is in Sid at the moment, you need some patience before Debian Testing will get this version.
Right, but this isn't Debian. This is Mint Debian. I'm just curious as to why Mint (Clem) didn't opt for the more recent version?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Mint Debian is just Debian with some things added: Firefox, Mintmenu, Mintupdate, Mintwifi, Mintinstall / software manager, ...
The system itself is still Debian. Your updates also still come from Debian.

But of course Mint devs could add it, but they haven't done that (yet).
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by VtPoet »

Mint Debian is just Debian with some Mint things added: Mintmenu, Mintupdate, Mintwifi, Mintinstall / software manager, ...
The system itself is still Debian.
So you're thinking a Mint XFCE would have been going to far afield? 4.8 seems to be quite the improvement. I wonder what Debian's time line is? Months? Years? Guess we'll find out...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

They don't have a timeline, they include it in Testing when it's found to be stable enough for that (not breaking the whole system, most important bugfixes done).

Return to “Releases & Announcements”