No KDE Celena. onto Daryna

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

sorry about that I'm just playing

how much experience do you have with linux?
No offense taken :)

How experienced am I? Well enough to have bad taste in my kickers :lol: :wink:

I use kubuntu gutsy as my main and am playing with cassandra kde community, and mepis 7.0 beta.
I have windows as a vmware "guest" running on wll sytsems as I need adobe / macromedia stuff for work.

I am far away from an expert but am learning and enjoying it :D

@linuxviolin: I wholeheartedly agree
dracorX

Re: NEW MENU

Post by dracorX »

frank392 wrote:Please we need to change the menu, is horrible. why not keep the original kde menu.

please no more tastymenu:
http://www.notmart.org/tastymenu/index.html
Hehe... I never dared bringing that up ! Well, it's the first thing I do usually remove. but I am a bit biased, as I help creating KBFX. We have now new features - but the release isn't out yet :-(

I will anounce when it's here.

Test it, you might like it.

As for removing, I think kbfx is better (but I AM BIASED), but tastymenu is better than kmenu.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

@ Izo

Kickoff? With all these click click click to open something? :roll:
What time lost all these clicks! :lol:

Maybe the original KDE menu reminds Windows 98 but it is simple, light etc I like it.:wink:

And even in Windows XP I replaced the default theme (horrible) by the traditional theme...:D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Kadano wrote:Kickoff is very intuitive and fast to use. No clicks needed.
No clicks? ah? I no longer uses kickoff for some time, even in my KDE distro in dual-boot with Mint, but I remember that it was necessary to click on the tabs at the bottom and also to open submenus etc :wink: click click click :lol:

But we need for all tastes is not it? :D

P.S.= I don't like KBFX either
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
@go
Level 1
Level 1

Post by @go »

I really really love the tasty menu of mint, I hope it will never change. And I hate Dolphin!!! Konqueror is the best navigator, it has also integrated kdesvn that I use here at work, if someone wants a simplier navigator just use Gnome that has Nautilus. Indeed I use mint Gnome at home and mint KDE on the work laptop because KDE is more professional.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

bah... I also agree that tasty is a tad too large... but I deffinitely prefer it over the default crap.. ewwww :)

I wanted to bring up the vixta distro... it's a fedora release touched up to seem more like vista... I really like the design, it's quite elegant and pretty.. take a look guys:

http://sourceforge.net/project/screensh ... ssid=68107
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

@go wrote:And I hate Dolphin!!! Konqueror is the best navigator, it has also integrated kdesvn that I use here at work
Yes maybe... but do you know Krusader? :D
@go wrote:KDE is more professional.
This is debatable.

KDE Power! :D :D :D
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Daryna KDE CE will be out soon.

I have been looking at KDE4 beta3 (as a second DE) but I have not got it to work yet.
so KDE4 will be left off if I can not get it to work.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Boo wrote:so KDE4 will be left off if I can not get it to work.
Don't seek! KDE4 will most likely good enough, stable... probably only from 4.1 or 4.2 So don't seek to include it in Daryna KDE immediately please :D
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

well I just need to do a bit more testing then I will upload.

I am just having a bit of trouble with the installer at them moment, but this may just be the iso since it is not a consistent error.

I am not putting KDE4 on the iso.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

Wonderful Boo! I can't wait to see the magic you've worked!

Thanks!
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

bah... I also agree that tasty is a tad too large
You can change the size as you like:
right click on tasty->configure->menu size :)
dracorX

resize

Post by dracorX »

One can resize. but it's rather subobtimal
One has no control over the different columns. I can't indicate I want the first column the size xx px and the 2nd and 3rd column yy px

When I tried to make it smaller, the 1st column became way too small
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Izo wrote:That's the problem with you traditionalists! You can't see past your own Windows '98 nose! :lol:
Nice sense of humor Izo :lol:
The menu is not exactly the same as in Win98... :wink:
The menu is simple, not *large* :) , the categories are clear, readily accessible, all is in alphabetical order... No really I have no problem with this menu! :lol:

If you prefer Tasty that's OK, it's freedom of choice. :wink:
Not like Win98 hey? :lol: :lol: :lol:
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Proximo wrote:Registered just to give my 2 cents.
One of the reasons why i totally fell in love with Mint (gnome version) was the NON-gnome menu. I immediatly thought "god i wish i could get KDE with this kind of menu".
So far ive found Mint to be superiour to any other distro ive tried when it comes to tidyness, its easy and logical to find whatever you need.
The old KDE menu is a clutterish mess in my humble opinion.
I have just discovered Kicker and Tasty, and have yet not built an opinion on what i like best, but please whatever you do, do include some customized menu!
Duuuuuuuuuude, I SO agree with you! I think so many other distros ignore the fact that the default KDE and Gnome menus are a complete mess. If you really want a lesson is bad usability, do a stock Slackware and check out that default KDE menu. Part of what makes Mint unique is the customized menu. I really hope it stays, Boo.

--Akshun J
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

akshunj wrote:
Proximo wrote:Registered just to give my 2 cents.
One of the reasons why i totally fell in love with Mint (gnome version) was the NON-gnome menu. I immediatly thought "god i wish i could get KDE with this kind of menu".
So far ive found Mint to be superiour to any other distro ive tried when it comes to tidyness, its easy and logical to find whatever you need.
The old KDE menu is a clutterish mess in my humble opinion.
I have just discovered Kicker and Tasty, and have yet not built an opinion on what i like best, but please whatever you do, do include some customized menu!
Duuuuuuuuuude, I SO agree with you! I think so many other distros ignore the fact that the default KDE and Gnome menus are a complete mess. If you really want a lesson is bad usability, do a stock Slackware and check out that default KDE menu. Part of what makes Mint unique is the customized menu. I really hope it stays, Boo.

--Akshun J
I agree!!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

LostOverThere wrote:Something to make KDE look way nicer is to simply make the bottom taskbar transparent by default.
+1! :D I support this! 8)
dracorX

transparent kicker bar

Post by dracorX »

Hmmm. sorry, I don't agree, really.

The reason is following: the start button, the systray and the taskbar (which is obsolete if using compiz, really) are then hanging all alone in the air. I better like having a nicely skinned taskbar really.
dracorX

Re: Huh?

Post by dracorX »

LostOverThere wrote:
dracorX wrote:Hmmm. sorry, I don't agree, really.

The reason is following: the start button, the systray and the taskbar (which is obsolete if using compiz, really) are then hanging all alone in the air. I better like having a nicely skinned taskbar really.
Its not so transparent you cant see it, its still easily visible. Just, say 50% transparency
With that I can agree
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

The first thing I do whenever I install any KDE distro is make the taskbar transparent. usually around 70-80%

Return to “Software & Applications”