KDE on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
saghaulor

KDE on LMDE

Post by saghaulor »

Is it possible to install the Linux Mint KDE desktop onto the LMDE build? I'd like to try a rolling release and KDE 4.6.2. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: KDE on LMDE

Post by Aging Technogeek »

It is possible to add the KDE desktop to LMDE. It will not be perfect as some of the Gnome characteristics may show up on the KDE desktop. I have never tried this with KDE as I am not a fan, but installing LXDE on LMDE-Gnome works fairly well without much crosstalk between the desktops.

The KDE meta package, KDE-full is available in Synaptic Package Manager, but it is not KDE 4.6. Apparently it will install KDE 4.3 or 4.4. There are packages for both available and KDE-full does not identify which version it installs. I saw nothing for KDE 4.6 in Synaptic for LMDE. It may not be in the Debian repos yet.

Found this site:

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/

It is the KDE-Debian maintainers' website and it lists the latest version of KDE available for Debian as 4.5.

If you really want KDE 4.6.2, you will have to download and install it yourself as it is not available in Synaptic.
saghaulor

Post by saghaulor »

Thanks for the feedback. I've never used Debian, but I'm interested because of the rolling releases and the stability/speed. Does Debian have a PPA system like Ubuntu?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

No it doesn't. You can add official repositories to the sources list but Debian does not use or accept PPAs.
saghaulor

Post by saghaulor »

That works just as well. Thanks for the response.

Return to “LMDE Archive”