LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hzsolt94

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 12 april 2011

Post by hzsolt94 »

The package gstreamer0.10-pitfdll is missing from the repos.

It's the depedency of the mint-meta-debian and mint-meta-codecs packages.
It's also needed to play many of the videos with totem. (VLC works fine)
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

viking777 wrote:
amina wrote:asymmetros,
did you install from source or installed the Ubuntu version?
Amina, I installed the Ubuntu version a few days ago and it didn't work. I installed the source version today and it works again. :)
Exactly, i installed from source.
amina

Post by amina »

asymmetros wrote:
viking777 wrote:
amina wrote:asymmetros,
did you install from source or installed the Ubuntu version?
Amina, I installed the Ubuntu version a few days ago and it didn't work. I installed the source version today and it works again. :)
Exactly, i installed from source.
I also installed, it works now fine.

I used checkinstall and encountered one issue: I had to create /etc/xdg/exaile directory manually and then run

sudo dpkg -i exaile_0.3.2.1-1_i386.deb to actually install the .deb checkinstall created.

marlar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marlar »

Hi,

I have returned from vacation and have only applied the update now....

This update broke my ATI driver. I have tried installing the newest proprietary driver to no avail. If I boot up with the older kernel, it works fine, so it seems to be a kernel issue.

I have seen the problem discussed in this thread, but there are many many pages dealing with the April 12 update so I haven't been able to find a conclusion.

I would be very grateful if someone would sum it up for me. Is there a solution or will I have to wait for a new ATI driver?

Thanks so much!

Martin

EDIT: Something interesting.... The reason why I installed the proprietary ATI driver in the first place a month ago was that my laptop was getting very hot (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p396479) and it did in fact help a lot. The default driver with the internal (on-board) graphics adaptor made my laptop hot enough to keep my tea warm. Now, because of the problem with the ATI card and the new .38 kernel as mentioned above, I have temporarily switched to the internal adaptor and the default driver and to my surprise, with the new kernel the laptop stays very cool!!! So perhaps I don't even need the ATI driver at all. I installed it solely to solve the temperature issue as I don't need the power of the ATI card since I don't play games.

EDIT2: Hmmm, Google Earth does not work with the built-in graphics card so I probably do need the proprietary driver. Or maybe it is the new kernel? Really hard to say since the ATI card does not work with the new kernel. But if I enable the ATI card and boot up with the .32 kernel, Google Earth works fine.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I was installing the updates I found available today. Before doing so I was running apt-listbugs and found this

Code: Select all

critical bugs of udev (167-1 -> ) <unfixed>
 #622309 - udev: Network, sound and X input broken
 #593083 - udev - system hangs at login screen
 #617967 - udev: fails to start on hppa (can not open netlink socket)
Now, #617967 was reported in udev v 166-1, so I imagine if it going to be a problem for anybody, you have probably already experienced it.

#622360 was reported April 12 for udev v 167-3, the version now available. It is annotated has being a bug previously reported and fixed in udev 167-2, the version most of are probably using.

Make use of this report as you will.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

The reason why I installed the proprietary ATI driver in the first place a month ago was that my laptop was getting very hot (viewtopic.php?f=141&t=65289&start=20#p396479) and it did in fact help a lot. The default driver with the internal (on-board) graphics adaptor made my laptop hot enough to keep my tea warm. Now, because of the problem with the ATI card and the new .38 kernel as mentioned above, I have temporarily switched to the internal adaptor and the default driver and to my surprise, with the new kernel the laptop stays very cool!!! So perhaps I don't even need the ATI driver at all. I installed it solely to solve the temperature issue as I don't need the power of the ATI card since I don't play games.
Not being a tech guy but this might be of interest to you
this regression is still unfixed in Linux 2.6.39. On the particular system being talked about in the article today is the power consumption going up by 14%, which would lead to a noticeably shorter battery life.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ffda&num=1

I have just done a fresh install of LMDE on two desktops and a laptop using Clem's LMDE default settings with Mintupdate level 4-5 turned off and no cli "apt-get dist-upgrade" or Synaptic update run on them.
At the first upgrade I installed all the minty upgrades rebooted/logged off and then Mintupdated the rest.
All the machines updated with no "Broken packages" problems and the laptop is running cooler and less noisy
Thank you Clem and team for a great lean & mean and very stable distro.

Conclusions
Mint Update is an integral part of LMDE which is bypassed by the use of the terminal!
Do you really want to be using the latest buggy linux kernel? especially on a laptop

I think there should be a sticky warning newcomers that most/all of the problems/solutions being posted on this forum are from dist-upgrade, level 4-5 and "unstable" users. Perhaps there should be a separate subforum for dist-upgrade/level 4-5 unstable users called "LMDE Developers"?

Sorry if my wording is a bit off as I'm not very eloquent but I do think there should be a well written sticky for LMDE newcomers warning against the "dist-upgrade/level 4-5/unstable" users.
Are my conclusions are correct?
I thought Clem worded it quite well
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ukbrian wrote:
Mint Update is an integral part of LMDE which is bypassed by the use of the terminal!
no it's not, not even according to Clem:
clem wrote: This is a first step for LMDE, an update that brings it the upcoming improvements from Mint 11. What's coming next is an alteration of mintupdate that is specific to Debian. We'll snapshot the Debian repositories and "open the tap" at regular intervals (monthly for instance).
Clem.
and there's no point going though the rest of the post: starting off with a graphic cards issue, to make a connection with the power consumption of the .38 kernel and from there to the MU/levels discussion!! wow
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Are my conclusions are correct?
I am afraid not Brian. Almost the complete opposite in fact. Levels 1-3 are not Clem's default settings for LMDE they are the default settings for Mint main. It has been discussed at length on this forum that Mintupdate was never designed for use with LMDE and in fact does not work with it all that well. For the time being at least the advice is to use apt-get or synaptic and not mintupdate on this distro. That will probably change in the future though as Clem is working on a system of 'snapshots' for LMDE which will stabilise it if that is what you want.

You are quite right in saying that at that time we could do with another 'breakages' thread for people who opt to use the 'snapshot' system, and we already need one for those who use different repos (like unstable and experimental) but definitely not for folk who use apt-get.

EDIT. Too late, I see zerozero types quicker than I do :lol:
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I do apologize for miss information but I still find that my new installs that have only been updated using Mint Update are everything a new comer to LMDE or Linux would want in a distro with no problems whatsoever, maybe I'm just luck with my hardware :D

I expect I'll add an LMDE testing just to play with but certainly not on my laptop
Kazmirzak

Post by Kazmirzak »

Here is another one that should be mentionend on the first page:

After my latest upgrade, keyboard and mouse stopped working. After some research I found out that the problem was the buggy udev, which was still in version 158.1

Funny enough, although there was an update to version 167-3 availabe in aptitude, the Update Manager of Linux Mint didn't show any new updates!

Solution: install the latest udev (167-3). It solves the problem. It would be good if the update manager would be updated so that it automatically pulls this. I am also unsure if the problem would have happened if I had used apt-get dist-upgrade...
vincent

Post by vincent »

Kazmirzak wrote:Funny enough, although there was an update to version 167-3 availabe in aptitude, the Update Manager of Linux Mint didn't show any new updates!
Because mintUpdate hides lvl 4/5 updates by default (the "dangerous" types of updates), and udev happens to be one of these packages labelled as such.
deleted

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 30 mar 2011

Post by deleted »

dakdikmen wrote:
/usr/bin/mint-fortune: line 35: [: ==: unary operator expected
The missing value is pretty easy to add with the command line tool 'gconftool-2'.
Enable the funny fortune messages:
bash> gconftool-2 --set --type bool /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes "true"

Disable the messages:
bash> gconftool-2 --set --type bool /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes "false"

-David
Yep,
This is the only setting that needed to be updated.... No mods to mint-fortune required.
Thanks
-Hinto
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

vincent wrote:Because mintUpdate hides lvl 4/5 updates by default (the "dangerous" types of updates), and udev happens to be one of these packages labelled as such.
Well, the last two rounds of udev updates were all listed as level 3. I haven't made the last udev updates (167-3 > udev, libudev0, and libgudev-1.0-0) due to an unfixed critical bug (#622309 - udev: Network, sound and X input broken, #593083 - udev - system hangs at login screen) and the three packages are still showing up in MintUpdate. The same packages were all level 3 at the 167-2 release.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

It looks like bug #593083 is what I posted about earlier, where the system hangs at the login screen. That bug has been around since at least mid to late 2010, and apparently the Debian team just punted on it. They seem to have decided that since they didn't understand it and couldn't reproduce it reliably, they would just ignore it. The thread is here. The bug hit me again this week, and I got the same symptoms as before: system hangs at login screen, and requires powering off. Booting to recovery console, then running "shutdown now" followed by Ctrl-D boots to normal X session. The solution near the bottom, involving removing the udev file from /etc/r2c.d seems to work for me. After removing that file, I can again boot normally.
vincent

Post by vincent »

dawgdoc wrote:
vincent wrote:Because mintUpdate hides lvl 4/5 updates by default (the "dangerous" types of updates), and udev happens to be one of these packages labelled as such.
Well, the last two rounds of udev updates were all listed as level 3. I haven't made the last udev updates (167-3 > udev, libudev0, and libgudev-1.0-0) due to an unfixed critical bug (#622309 - udev: Network, sound and X input broken, #593083 - udev - system hangs at login screen) and the three packages are still showing up in MintUpdate. The same packages were all level 3 at the 167-2 release.
Whoops, looks like I'm mistaken. I'm unsure of what might have caused Kazmirzak's issue to appear then.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

vincent wrote:
dawgdoc wrote:
Well, the last two rounds of udev updates were all listed as level 3.
Whoops, looks like I'm mistaken. I'm unsure of what might have caused Kazmirzak's issue to appear then.
I do not think you were wrong about the problem lying with udev. When I posted it was just because I had not installed the latest udev updates and could see the ratings and still seem to remember the previous round also. I just checked my update history and it was udev/167-1 instead of 167-2 that was also Level 3. But further back udev/166-1 was a Level 5.

So I now wonder why udev changed for Level 5 >Dangerous< to Level 3 >Safe<

BTW, since udev/167-1 I am now getting occasional hangs during boot also but was not surprised and had not commented because of having seen the bug reports.
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Do NOT install latest updates!

My PC won`t boot up now, I have the same problem as described here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=71374
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I installed today's updates and haven't encountered a problem (LMDE 64 bit). Just saying. And just for info's sake I only update using either Synaptic or via the terminal using sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (or occasionally by dropping out to a command prompt [ctrl+alt+F1] if I see a lot of "xorg" updates). Again, just saying. (yeah, I know--not very helpful) :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

we had today grub's update
Commit Log for Tue Apr 26 16:01:31 2011

Upgraded the following packages:
grub-common (1.98+20100804-14) to 1.99~rc1-13
grub-pc (1.98+20100804-14) to 1.99~rc1-13
and are several grave bugs open against grub atm in Debian, specially, for what i could find, under certain circumstances (multi-hdd systems, raid, may miss more...?) grub is not properly configured and the next boot ends up in:
GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!
error: the symbol 'grub_env_find' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=567582 (note the number of bugs merged!!)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/756564

http://www.aptosid.com/index.php?name=P ... opic&t=782

- and seems os-prober is also broken in testing now http://www.aptosid.com/index.php?name=P ... pic&t=1182
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I have seen this often in early aptosid/debian sid, when grub-pc was moving from 1.98 to 1.99beta/rc in many steps.
However, none of these 'issues' have impact on my multiboot machine's MBR.
Now this upgrade is filtering into Testing repos.

The difference is the setup on my multiboot machine, grub legacy was controlling the MBR of the drive and all partitions are chainloaded by grub legacy to each partition's boot loader. Each partition boot loader is with their own default boot loader and installed itself onto the partition boot record.
During updating of grub-pc 1.99rc-1-13, it updated the partition and did not touch grub legacy at MBR.

For curiosity, I went ahead to update Testing (Wheezy) partition for my Debian-xfce, and saw the 1.99rc-1-13. When it completes, there is no issue on booting MBR and partition.

Return to “LMDE Archive”