2.6.38.2 kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
retired

2.6.38.2 kernel

Post by retired »

I now have two kernels in my bootup menu and the old kernel won't load. I'm ok with that but I'm concerned about the info on the new kernel saying computers are running hot. Talk to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: 2.6.38.2 kernel

Post by AlbertP »

2.6.38.2 should not be any problem, there are only very little computers that can get too hot while running Linux.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

It depends on the temperature, my computer is like this:
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 31.5C mobo: 36.0C gpu: 0.0:53C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1339 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0

What's yours?
Command: "inxi -F"
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There seems to be a regression in the power management system in the 2.6.38 kernel. It is not serious enough to worry about your computer melting down, but it will reduce battery operating time for laptops and netbooks.

For details see this topic

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 74&start=0
retired

Post by retired »

System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 42.0C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3621
That's me after about 1/2 hour , internet only - Thinkpad r52.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Temperatures are ok, don't know why the kernel is warning you about that. They must be higher during CPU/GPU intensive operations.
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

retired wrote:I now have two kernels in my bootup menu and the old kernel won't load. I'm ok with that but I'm concerned about the info on the new kernel saying computers are running hot. Talk to me.
I haven't noticed any heat increases on my laptop. I don't think it happens to everyone like phoronix would have you believe.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The Phoronix tests were worst case scenarios and not really complete. They tested Ubuntu 11.04 Beta against older versions of Ubuntu on a limited number of IBM Thinkpads of varying ages and all tests were at or near maximum capacity for the systems.

They did not test other distros, other manufacturers' systems, or operation at light loads. Results varied somewhat from one Thinkpad to another with older systems showing the largest increase in power usage.

I do not think this will be a major problem for the average user who seldom or never pushes his system beyond 25% or so of maximum capacity. And even for the power hogs, the main problem will most likely be shortened battery operating time rather than overheating.

Return to “LMDE Archive”