gnome+kde

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vicke4

gnome+kde

Post by vicke4 »

i am a linux mint 10 gnome user.i downloaded kde.iso to check how is kde?i tried it using unetbootin.i like that kde version.i want to install it.is there any way to add kde in my linux mint gnome?i want to switch between gnome and kde on login session.is there any way to do it with my kde.iso?please help me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: gnome+kde

Post by viking777 »

Open package manager go to Settings/Repositories/Other Software Add Volume. It will ask you to insert your disk. I don't know what happens after that because I have never done it, but I assume it adds your kde install dvd as a source which is what you want.

From then the simplest way is to switch to a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kde
This will add the mass of packages that you need to use kde but it should take most of them from the dvd that you have added as a source.

At least that is my theory, I have never actually tried it. There doesn't appear to be a meta package for kde (at least I haven't got one in my synaptic) if there was you could do it all from the package manager. You could try installing kde-base but I am not sure that will give you everything you need.
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

thank you.can i do this via my usb pendrive instead of live dvd(because i do not have this).please help me.
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

i tried it with a ubuntu 10.10 dvd and cd.both are not working.it says

Error scanning the CD

E:Unable to stat the mount point /cdrom/ - stat (2: No such file or directory), E:Unable to stat the mount point /cdrom/ - stat (2: No such file or directory), E:Failed to mount the cdrom.

please help me.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

The instructions were for within your current Linux Mint installation, not via LiveCD or LiveUSB.
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

What do you say?i can't understand.
proxima_centauri

Just boot your normal Linux Mint and follow viking777's instructions
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

Which disk i should insert?please help me.
proxima_centauri

Your first post makes it sound like you already have Linux Mint 10 Main Edition installed. Is this right?
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

Yes,now i want kde to add with it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

sudo apt-get install kde-full
Note that you will get the default KDE, and not Mintified KDE. There are some dependency problems with Mint KDE, it is not that easy to get a combined Gnome+KDE system.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

@ vicke4: If I'm understanding things correctly you have Mint 10 (GNOME) installed on your hard drive? if so, from a terminal this command will install the full KDE (or, at least, that's how I did it in Mint 9):

sudo apt-get install kde-full
You wouldn't need to use the KDE .iso for this. But that installs KDE from the Ubuntu repos, so it won't look quite like Mint KDE. As far as I know, you can't have both Mint's KDE and Mint's GNOME on the same installation, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that. Note:
AlbertP wrote:Note that you will get the default KDE, and not Mintified KDE. There are some dependency problems with Mint KDE, it is not that easy to get a combined Gnome+KDE system.
However, I've been running KDE from a Mint 9 (GNOME) installation for some time now, and it's worked out fine.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Gnome and KDE themselves are fine, but the Mint 10 packages to make KDE look like Mint, have a dependency problem with Mint 10 Gnome: the Grub theme.
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

i don't want the kUbuntu kde.if i install kde via the terminal it will be like a kubuntu kde.i want the mint's official kde version.is there any chances?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

vicke4 wrote:i don't want the kUbuntu kde.if i install kde via the terminal it will be like a kubuntu kde.i want the mint's official kde version.is there any chances?
Hm. I don't think so, I think it's like AlbertP said.

Still, adding KDE to the main Mint as has been described turns out to be quite nice, in my opinion. You've still got the Mint tools and everything available, so it's not really like you're running Kubuntu.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You are not running Kubuntu if you do not add the Kubuntu repository. You are running plain KDE, just as it comes from the KDE developers, when installing kde-full.
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

no chance with my linuxmintkde.iso?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can install it as a seperate OS sharing an /home partition, but you cannot add an ISO to the login menu.
vicke4

Post by vicke4 »

U mean dual boot.i want to add a different gui(graphics user interface)kde in mint 10 like open suse.is there any way?

Return to “Software & Applications”