The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Quindecim

Re: THE MINT CAFE

Post by Lady Quindecim »

Oooooo.... well, then, I think that about sums up beer in general.

But no, I have not leveled up that far yet. =^_^=
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I'd like to give a big Happy Birthday ! to our member Zwopper . Image . you have adorned the Ladies of Mint exquisitely, and brightened up my desktop for years, I am truly thankful !

best regards, richy
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Wow, well Happy Birthday Zwopper.

I agree with RichyRich. You have contributed a great deal of much appreciated art work.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I have enjoyed many of your wallpapers Zwopper; now please enjoy the happiest of birthdays!
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Happy Birthday Zwopper!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Zwopper
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Happy Birthday. Funny, it was my dad's birthday too. We did a steak dinner for him and I set his new computer up with Mint 10 KDE :)
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

I dropped by to say hello to Clem and everyone.I like Mint 10 very much.A hacker got into one of my PCs with Win XP so I had to delete my Yahoo e mails.I plan to use Mint most of the time from now on and put anything personal on external hard drives.I registered here several years ago with a Yahoo e mail account but it is no good now. The hacker could have swindled me out of a large fortune.Lucky for me that most of my fortune is in junk computers and not cash.So now I run Linux on everything .I feel more secure now.I like the Mint board best.Nice folks here.I wonder if Clem is still in Ireland? I have been away a long time.He is a good man.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Welcome back, Justo :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Put the fun back to walking

Post by npap »

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Well, that was noteworthy! :D

I can imagine that kids would be tempted to run up and down those stairs.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Put the fun back to walking

Post by scorp123 »

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello Scorp,
Nice to see you here. :) How have you been, old boy?
Cheers,
npap
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

npap wrote: How have you been, old boy?
Very very very busy. Working 14 hours per day and more. Ouch. And now the folks at Ubuntu have decided to push that horrible "Unity" interface down our throats. Yuuuuck. And GNOME 3 is just horrible too. So it's time to go distro-hopping again .... I see you people have a KDE-based release too? I might indeed be tempted to try it out ... :D

Funny ... some of my threads and bug reports from 2007 are still open and still active, after all that time!? Sweet :twisted:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

scorp123 wrote:
npap wrote: How have you been, old boy?
Very very very busy. Working 14 hours per day and more. Ouch. And now the folks at Ubuntu have decided to push that horrible "Unity" interface down our throats. Yuuuuck. And GNOME 3 is just horrible too. So it's time to go distro-hopping again .... I see you people have a KDE-based release too? I might indeed be tempted to try it out ... :D

Funny ... some of my threads and bug reports from 2007 are still open and still active, after all that time!? Sweet :twisted:
Have you tried LMDE-Xfce? It's still using Xfce-4.6 as 4.8 is still stuck in Debian 'experimental'
But the Debian-base is worth the move.

Or maybe, Openbox?
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

It's nice to see scorp around again. :) He was very helpful when he was around in the early days of Mint and I learned a lot about partitioning from him.

I agree, Unity is cr@p for a desktop. It will be interesting to see Mint's take on Gnome 3.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

vrkalak wrote:Or maybe, Openbox?
I use FluxBox, OpenBox and WindowMaker on some of my Atom CPU devices, yes. But on my main desktop (quad core, 64-bit, 8 GB RAM) I don't mind having bells and whistles turned on ... :D
kenetics wrote: It will be interesting to see Mint's take on Gnome 3.
Hard to believe but GNOME 3 is worse than Unity. GNOME 3 is such a bad bad bad joke IMHO. Seriously. I read the developer blogs again and again and read about why they decided certain things ... and I can't help but bang my head against the table again and again, some of those decisions and the explanations given are sooooooo utterly stupid :evil:

For example: They removed the "minimize" button. The argument being that there is no dock or anything a program window would minimize to ... So what!? Who needs a dock? I just want a program window to get out my way. Even if there is no dock I can still bring it back with e.g. Alt+Tab ... So they removed the button. BUT: they left the option in the right-click menu! So you can still right-click on a program's title bar and choose "minimize" from there. Hey wait ... I thought there is nowhere a window can minimize to? But why do they remove one minimize option but leave the other minimize option in there?? Why not remove both -- or -- which would have been the more intelligent thing -- leave both options alone and implement a task list, window list, dock or whatever??

GNOME 3 is full of such IMHO utterly strange decisions.

So for me it's "thank you + bye bye". I loved to use GNOME 2.x ... but GNOME 3 and Unity are driving me away, back to KDE and other window managers.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

scorp123, I like your opinions on Gnome 3 and I think most of us feel the same way as you. I also like your choices of light desktop environments. Windowmaker is certainly an interesting choice and it's a lot of fun setting it up.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

@Kenetics
Well, shouldn't you pass the drinks around to welcome Scorp and all the other visitors?
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ... is this ' THE MINT CAFE ' here ? ...

may I have a cup of Coffee please ? ... hot and strong ! ... the way I like it ! ...
and maybe ... some ' bacon & eggs ' ? ... with some fresh pressed ' Orange-Juice ' ! ...
would be a nice ' Americain Breakfast ' ... this morning of ... o1. of May 2o11 ! ...

will take some ' pancakes ' too ... with some canadian ' Marble Sirup ' ! ...

thanks ! ... this will be just fine .. for the moment ...

casey972oo

Return to “Open Chat”