New inxi features of possible interest

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

New inxi features of possible interest

Post by h2-1 »

I've just finished a large chunk of inxi improvements.

Latest version now: 1.4.86

New options: -n
shows an additional line of information for user network cards, the interface id, like: eth0, status up/down, speed, mac address, duplex mode.

-n triggers -N and -x as well, so: inxi -n
shows all the network card output.
inxi -ni
shows all the network card output and the internet connection information as well. That part has also been cleaned up and made more consistent.

This can help in especially non X situations to verify what actual connection is present, if any.

This is a new feature so it probably won't work for all scenarios, especially usb wifi I suspect, but we'll get that debugged as we get more user feedback, that's why this release is 1.4.86, not 1.5.0

Also, -Gx now shows the graphics card pci busID, also useful for debugging misconfigured xorg.conf files or whatever.

A new option allows users to pick from one of about 30 color schemes, this is started by running inxi in terminal, with -c 94 to 99 options, like so: inxi -c 98

This runs what is basically a color picker for the schemes, then writes them to user config files.

Code: Select all

-c  Available color schemes. Scheme number is required. Color selectors run a color selector option
    prior to inxi starting which lets you set the config file value for the selection.
    Supported color schemes: 0-30 Example: inxi -c 11
    Supported color selectors: 94 (console, no X); 95 (terminal, X); 96 (irc, X);
    97 (irc, X, in terminal); 98 (irc, no X); 99 (global).
-n  Show Advanced Network card information. Same as -Nnx. Shows interface, speed, mac id, state, etc.
I also fixed the inxi updater, inxi -U, now it's more robust and less prone to failures, and has better exit error messages to let the user know what to do to fix the problem depending on the cause.

I think that's the main changes, a lot of smaller cleanup items, but these are the ones you might find of interest in terms of user support.

In terms of how distros could use these new config options, if you set the desired defaults for example white background/black text virtual terminal in /etc/inxi.conf all the users would see that the way they wanted.

User config files, in $HOME/.inxi/inxi.conf, always override script defaults and settings in /etc/inxi.conf by the way.

So there's 5 possible custom settings per user, or one global default per user now possible. I'm hoping to get some more feedback on the color schemes I've picked, I tested them in dark, light, dark or light, to see how they would look, for quite a while, but they could probably be improved, though I don't see it being a good idea having that much more than the present number of them total.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: New inxi features of possible interest

Post by viking777 »

Thank you for the update, it is a very useful script. :)
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

Finally, got enough user data to add support, initial, for usb networking/wireless cards.

If your card is not listed when you run inxi -N, please go to the script forums and post your lsusb output, or send me a private message here with that data.

This is running as of inxi version 1.4.91

Cathbard also updated the deb package, and that's now at 1.4.91
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Thanks h2-1. Just updated to inxi 1.4.91
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

It's currently at 1.4.94, latest improvements: fixed color selector to offer only safe colors for global/irc clients, that's because you can't control what colors other users have their irc set to.

Added way more usb network card detections, added blacklisting of a variety of false matches in usb detection, like mouse, storage, hub, keyboard, bluetooth, and so on.

Getting closer to 1.5.0 release, a few more real bug fixes should get it there.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

There was a major bug in 1.4.94 that broke usb network adapter detection, my fault, that bug is fixed now in 1.4.95
viking777

Post by viking777 »

h2-1 wrote:There was a major bug in 1.4.94 that broke usb network adapter detection, my fault, that bug is fixed now in 1.4.95
Hell, I am wearing out my terminal just installing all these updates, I can't imagine what it must be like to code them all :lol:

But thank you once again for doing so. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”