Very Impressed

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bwat47

Very Impressed

Post by bwat47 »

I decided to give LMDE a try last night. I had never used debian or a 100% debian compatible distro before so I didn't quite know what to expect. So far I am absolutely loving it. I have always been a fan of the rolling release model, its what I really liked about arch. LMDE is certainly missing some of the nice touches ubuntu has making things more streamlined, but I found it wasn't much harder to setup and the performance and stability of LMDE more than makes up for it.

I have always had performance issues with ubuntu/ubuntu derivatives, my biggest pet peeve is when compiz is enabled smooth scrolling in every web browser was horribly laggy (using both the oss ati drivers and catalyst 11.3/11.4), and compiz's performance in general disappointing (slightly laggy minimize animations, white flickers during fade animations. In LMDE scrolling is just as smooth as in windows, no lag. All animations are totally smooth and artifact free. LMDE boots faster, feels more responsive, applications launch faster, and uses less memory. LMDE also comes with every program and codec I need out of the box :).

Also unity's gnome 2 is the best I've ever used mintmenu is awesome, the theme is beautiful and easy on the eyes, and the custom faenza based icon set is just perfect. I like it better than natty's gnome 2 and unity interface.

While LMDE could still certainly use some work in areas I think I have found my new favorite distro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Very Impressed

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes, LMDE is a great distro. I've been using it since it came out last September. I did switch over to the Squeeze repos in March, as I just got tired of constant updates. I decided I wanted the peace and quiet of stability vs. rolling. With Squeeze backports I still get my apps updated.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

I am also in love with it. In the past I've been a bit of a chronic distro hopper but now I've found a keeper. I've also liked the idea of a rolling distro but in the past always ended up at Ubuntu because of the large software library.

Now I have a rolling distro which, while rough around the edges, is faster than ubuntu, is rolling, and has pretty much the same software library.

It's also been very stable for me with only the odd annoying glitch here and there.

Honestly I played with the new Ubuntu for a bit over the weekend and at release it was a lot less stable and much more buggy than lmde. I know Ubuntu releases take a couple of months to settle in normally but I don't see the point waiting when I can just use lmde.

It's all very sad but my distro hopping days may be over.

Sent from my Gingerbread loaded Desire HD.
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

I'm another long term Linux user; somewhere between eight and nine years and in that time I must have tried hundreds of distributions. Some of them didn't make a week and the longest would have been about 6 months with the exception of Slackware which made it through a few years but never on my main computer. LMDE XFCE has been on my main computer for a few weeks now and I already think I may have found my home.

I would like to say a massive thank you to the team behind this release and congratulations on building the best distribution I've used.

Return to “LMDE Archive”