Daryna XFCE Community Edition BETA 008 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Daryna XFCE Community Edition BETA 008 is out!

Post by clem »

Hi,

The first release candidate for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna XFCE Community Edition is out and available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_xfce_b8.php

NOTE: Something was not mentioned in the release notes: Daryna includes the Red Hat Liberation Fonts.

Please test it heavily so we can find and fix as many bugs as possible.

Clem
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

The plurality of linuxmint

Post by neo67 »

Hi Clem, hi all,

please dont understand mit wrong, but is it advantageous, to have a KDE, XFCE, KDE-Mini and a gnome version of linuxmint?

It seems to me, it is more effective to have the focus on one Desktop-Environment?

The advantages are:

- you are able to concentrate on one desktop
- to bundle the power
- optimized one and therefore do better than 75% oder 90% on each

User, who wants another Desktop-Env. are also able to install this on a gnome oder kde based version, or I'm wrong?

The only thing is, to have two oder more Desktop-Env on one machine running is cuting the stability....

But these arguments are originate of my subjective opinion.

Greetz
neo67
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

This is exactly why this edition is a "Community Edition", it doesn't take the focus out of the main one, somebody from the community (Merlwiz) stepped up and is now maintaining it. So both editions get 100% focus.. my focus is on the main edition, his is on this one.

Clem
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

Hi,

oh yes. Thats means, not one team is make all this versions. Thats better!
Thanks.
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

I would like to break a lance for the XFCE edition!
For those who haven't tried it yet, you may be quite pleasantly surprised about its ballast-free sleekness and speed.
XFCE edition will run on PC's with only 256MB RAM, much too little for even thinking of installing Celena or Daryna.
Helmut
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Enabling Compiz functions

Post by merlwiz79 »

acegeezer wrote:Installed the nVidia driver rebooted and I thought the release notes stated enabled by default, but i have no Compiz functions at all, help please.
Says installed by default.
Goto XFCE 4 mintDesktop and click enable/disable button next to Compiz.
To disable do the same thing.
To change the Emerald theme just open Emerald Theme Manager, from the menu under Settings.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

my jaw hit the floor when saw the screenshots... artistically, you've absolutely outdone yourself... downloading it now... :D

[edit] just noticed... my 100th post! yay!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

acegeezer wrote:"Goto XFCE 4 mintDesktop and click enable/disable button next to Compiz"

Thanks for the information, merlwiz79, I thought there would be a switch somewhere.
I do have other issues with the beta though, freezing regularly and a black line at base of screen and no taskbar. This does not clear on reboot, I am assuming a broken app' somewhere. I cannot be more specific, though at this point :?
Try deleting the 2 folders .chache and .config in your home folder.
Then use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to relogin.
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade

Post by ZenDJiNN »

I'm currently running release 3, and would like to upgrade to 4 (beta) if possible. Do i have to D/L and install the whole CD or is there an upgrade path i can take "Online" as it were?

I've tried doing an upgrade to 7.10 (using the Update Manager) and of course it's meant for Ubuntu et al, so can't find any "Meta Package".

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.....

[/u]
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Upgrade

Post by merlwiz79 »

ZenDJiNN wrote:I'm currently running release 3, and would like to upgrade to 4 (beta) if possible. Do i have to D/L and install the whole CD or is there an upgrade path i can take "Online" as it were?

I've tried doing an upgrade to 7.10 (using the Update Manager) and of course it's meant for Ubuntu et al, so can't find any "Meta Package".

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.....

[/u]
There will only be an upgrade path to the final.
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Upgrade

Post by ZenDJiNN »

merlwiz79 wrote:There will only be an upgrade path to the final.
OK, thanks for that..... i'll wait for the final release, and kudos to all involved for such a fine distro. The XFCE ed is GREAT!! :)
foxhound89
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Daryna XFCE Community Edition BETA 008 is out!

Post by foxhound89 »

Howdy,
When is Mint XFCE 4.0 being released as final? Take care and keep it in the wind.
element74

Two small bugs in Daryna XFCE Beta 008

Post by element74 »

Hi, i locate two little bugs in Daryna XFCE Beta 008.

1. Normaly it's possible in the "Network Settings" to save the settings with a location name. But leastwise on my mashine I can't use this option. I can click on the save button and type the location name but the program won't save it.

2. The windowsize of some program f.e. mintUpdate is too wide for a screen resolution of 1024x768 (my screen dosn't support greater resolution) and there is no maximize button and if I try to change the window size I can only move the window.

Sergej

Return to “Releases & Announcements”