Using a liquorix kernel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abtygwyn

Using a liquorix kernel

Post by abtygwyn »

As a complete novice I was pleased to find out that loading Mint onto my laptop was not quite the ordeal I had feared, although it was still a steep learning curve.

I have quickly found out that my laptop (Toshiba Equium U400) does not like the full updated version of LMDE or at least it all works except the blue tooth and the card reader.

I have been directed towards using a Liquorix kernel, which I have manged to install and this gets the bluetooth working, although the card reader still refuses to be 'found'.

I liked the concept behind LMDE and the way it updates, but I'm now wondering if by solving one issue that I create another, namely the updates are going to go out of sync?

I know not everyone will like liquorix, for one reason and another, but are there any good reasons for sticking with the straight LMDE release. I guess I can still use it now, as it's in the GRUB list on start up.

Comments and suggestions welcomed, but you'll need to keep it simple as I am still getting to grips with even the simplest of tasks with the Linux way of doing things.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Andrew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Using a liquorix kernel

Post by Roken »

The only reasons that I can think of for sticking with LMDE defaults and approved updates is support and stability. As a general rule the updates offered will be tested on LMDE, meaning that they should work without problems, and technically only official kernels etc are supported.

However, using Linux is all about choice and freedom to use your system how you see fit, and there are plenty of LMDE users who "bend the rules" to greater or lesser degrees (I use a liqourix kernel and have all sorts of repositories added to my sources list, as well as software compiled from source sitting on my computer without any problems), and you will still receive help and assistance both here and in the IRC channels. The only thing that you should remember is to declare such deviations when requesting help to maximise your chances of receiving constructive advice, and to avoid wasting the time of a lot of people who may be barking up the wrong tree because they weren't aware of your changes.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
abtygwyn

Post by abtygwyn »

Roken wrote:The only reasons that I can think of for sticking with LMDE defaults and approved updates is support and stability. As a general rule the updates offered will be tested on LMDE, meaning that they should work without problems, and technically only official kernels etc are supported.

However, using Linux is all about choice and freedom to use your system how you see fit, and there are plenty of LMDE users who "bend the rules" to greater or lesser degrees (I use a liqourix kernel and have all sorts of repositories added to my sources list, as well as software compiled from source sitting on my computer without any problems), and you will still receive help and assistance both here and in the IRC channels. The only thing that you should remember is to declare such deviations when requesting help to maximise your chances of receiving constructive advice, and to avoid wasting the time of a lot of people who may be barking up the wrong tree because they weren't aware of your changes.
Many thanks. This sounds very fair to me and I've been impressed at how quickly advice and comments come back.
The only reason for using the different kernel is as a result of necessity rather than wanting to step outside the official release. To be honest, I don't use the bluetooth on a regular basis, but it's nice to know it's there if needed.

My worry was/is that in using something outside the official release would leave me more open to rouge hackers etc. as I have no real idea of what I'm doing!! :o

Thanks

Andrew
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

As long as you stick to official or well respected repositories or software then you should not encounter any additional risks. There are several threads knocking about the forums detailing how difficult it actually is for rogue software to gain a foothold on a Linux based machine, and if you have concerns you may want to hunt those down and have a read to put your mind at rest.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
abtygwyn

Post by abtygwyn »

Roken wrote:As long as you stick to official or well respected repositories or software then you should not encounter any additional risks. There are several threads knocking about the forums detailing how difficult it actually is for rogue software to gain a foothold on a Linux based machine, and if you have concerns you may want to hunt those down and have a read to put your mind at rest.
Thanks.

Looks like I should be fine then. I'm not going 'off piste' that often and the liquorix seems well used if not 'official'.

Andrew

Return to “LMDE Archive”