Conky on startup [Solved]

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ceezer
Level 1
Level 1

Conky on startup [Solved]

Post by Ceezer »

I tried searching the forums and Google, but perhaps my search terms were too vague, as I was unable to locate a resolution to the issue I'm facing here. I apologize if this has been covered and I'm just missing it.

I'm running Linux Mint 10, the main/Gnome version, and installed Conky. I went into Preferences and added it to the Startup Applications, with a command of "/user/bin/conky". I even went into the options and clicked 'Remember Currently Running Application'. When I start-up/restart my laptop, however, it's not there. If I go into the terminal and run 'Conky', then it starts/shows up, but I would like for it to be there when I log in, without having to forcefully run it from terminal.

I will continue to research the issue, and will update this thread if I find what I'm looking for, but I appreciate any help/guidance/assistance/insight/suggestions y'all might have for me.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Conky on startup

Post by feed3 »

Ceezer wrote:I went into Preferences and added it to the Startup Applications, with a command of "/user/bin/conky"...
-create one file, name it whatever you want, for ex; conky-start.sh,
-make it executable, using command line or right-click the file, permissions tab, allow executing as program,
-put below code into the file,
#/bin/bash
sleep 20
conky -d -c ~/conks/osd &
exit

sleep 20 <-- delay startup
~/conks/osd & <-- path to where you put your customized conkyrc (conky config file)

in startup application, browse and select that conky-start.sh

log off and log on back to see the result..
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

I thought I would like conky on startup but I didn't. I created a launcher to launch the conky when I want to launch it. I have the launcher pointing to an executable file that contains which conkys to start. I also like the ability to turn off the conkys when I am done with them instead of letting them run in the background.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#sleep 5
conky -c ~/.Conky/.conkyrc  &

conky -c ~/.Conky/.conkyrc1 &
conky -c ~/.Conky/.conkyrcb &
conky -c ~/.Conky/.conkycd &
conky -c ~/.Conky/outofhere/outrc  &
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
killall -9 conky
Ceezer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ceezer »

Thanks, feed3, I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Lost, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you like Conky on startup? Did you find it using resources, or just a distraction?
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

Lost, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you like Conky on startup? Did you find it using resources, or just a distraction?
Part of the issue was the distraction, I like a nice clean desktop. The other part was trying to get everything I can from my internet connection. If you look at the picture my download speed is not the fastest. When I get home, back to broadband I might connect on startup again.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”