Trouble starting conky. [Solved]

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robfinley

Trouble starting conky. [Solved]

Post by robfinley »

I have Conky installed and I have a good, working conkymain script.

I have gone to Preferences/Startup Applications and added a launcher pointing to: conky -c ~/Conky/conkymain (per a forum I've been reading working at this)

When I reboot, I get the regular black-box conky on my desktop.

If run the command (ctrl-F2) conky -c ~/Conky/conkymain, it starts the way I want, but then I have them both :(
Screenshot: http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m50 ... enshot.png

Why does my launcher not work correctly?

If I delete it, Conky doesn't start. So "conky -c ~/Conky/conkymain" as a startup launcher only launches stock Conky, but "conky -c ~/Conky/conkymain" entered after startup, produces the desired effect. Why is that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Trouble starting conky.

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The only thing I ever do to launch Conky is to put my script in a file /home/john/.conkyrc (set to run as a program) then set up the autostart launcher with the command "conky", nothing else has ever been required.

Some users may have timing problems where Conky starts, then the desktop compositor starts and shuts down Conky. To cure this I add a short script, /home/john/.conkysh that reads

Code: Select all

sleep 10 && conky

And use the command "/home/john/.conkysh" in the autostart launcher.

This inserts a 10 second delay in the Conky start path to allow conflicting programs to stabilize before Conky starts.

I have never had difficulty starting and running Conky with these methods. Sometimes the simplest way is best.
robfinley

Re: Trouble starting conky.

Post by robfinley »

Yeah, I just stopped reading to soon. Creating the script is what I was missing. Thank you. Excellent source of info for getting started with Conky here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5436679

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”